VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
It must have been caused by the vaccination!
 

·
Beanitarian
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
I saw this story on the national news a few days ago. They were tested and examined and diagnosed with Conversion Disorder. They all resisted that diagnosis and claim the drs' are wrong. Interesting, when someone gets a diagnosis and it's what they want to hear, the doctors are right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

I saw this story on the national news a few days ago. They were tested and examined and diagnosed with Conversion Disorder. They all resisted that diagnosis and claim the drs' are wrong. Interesting, when someone gets a diagnosis and it's what they want to hear, the doctors are right.
Yeah, the girl says in the video "I don't think it's in my head." I think she doesn't understand how powerful psychological disorders can be. Just because it's "psychological" doesn't mean it's imagined or intentional, which is how she makes it sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
I have been watching this story on the Today show. I have issues with the diagnosis and I disagree with it. I do NOT believe this is conversion disorder and that it's "all in the their heads".

I fear that now that this has gotten national attention, those suffering from Tourette's Syndrome or similar tic disorders will be misdiagnosed and doubted. I really hope this story doesn't have that type of negative impact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

It must be gardasil.
I can't tell if this is a serious suggestion. The article mentions that the doctor specifically ruled that out as a possibility.
 

·
Beanitarian
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
I guess because I've witnessed Conversion Disorder personally at work numerous times, it makes it easier for me to understand or believe.

Believing in Conversion Disorder is no different than believing meditation can heal a stress-related disorder or that stress can cause heart palpitations.

The mind is a very powerful thing and can cause very real physical symptoms. I've seen much more serious physical manifestations of it than tics--paralysis, for example. And I've seen absolute proof that it was caused by Conversion Disorder.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001950/

I don't believe any of them were faking either, nor do I think the evidence points to the fact that the girls in this story are faking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Odd. Conversion disorder is pretty rare. I've been in psych for 16 years and have only seen a true conversion disorder a few times. I don't blame them for questioning the diagnosis. It's not at all unusual for medical docs to call things psych problems when they don't have a better explanation that is easy to identify.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

I guess because I've witnessed Conversion Disorder personally at work numerous times, it makes it easier for me to understand or believe.

Believing in Conversion Disorder is no different than believing meditation can heal a stress-related disorder or that stress can cause heart palpitations.

The mind is a very powerful thing and can cause very real physical symptoms. I've seen much more serious physical manifestations of it than tics--paralysis, for example. And I've seen absolute proof that it was caused by Conversion Disorder.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001950/

I don't believe any of them were faking either, nor do I think the evidence points to the fact that the girls in this story are faking.
Why only girls, why all at the same high school? Is it 'contagious'? I'm actually afraid to read much about it, as I'd like to remain tic-free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

For ****'s sake.
I saw this and I was like "why is delicioso being so harst to fadeaway1289? I didn't know what it meant either, was it that obvious?"


And then I was like, "Oooohhhhh..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,577 Posts
Quote:
The school principal, Richard Turner, said after closely interviewing the students, they found six of them were faking the symptoms.



Yeh, I'd be tempted to join in on this one too if I thought it was going to get me a few days off here and there - and I'd probably throw in a bit of Tourette's as well, just for my own entertainment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

For ****'s sake.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I saw this and I was like "why is delicioso being so harst to fadeaway1289? I didn't know what it meant either, was it that obvious?"


And then I was like, "Oooohhhhh..."
Had I not read your post I would've thought the same thing!

I've seen FFS used before but never knew what it meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Yeh, I'd be tempted to join in on this one too if I thought it was going to get me a few days off here and there - and I'd probably throw in a bit of Tourette's as well, just for my own entertainment.
Having a tic disorder or/and Tourettes is far from entertaining.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top