VeggieBoards banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience these sudden jumping movements in their arms, legs and even head? It started a few weeks ago when I started to get really, really lethargic. When I try to sleep all of a sudden one or both of my arms will thrust upwards. On the train the other day my right shoulder, arm and my head all went spaz on me and jumped - I think I scared this old man across from me heehee. I had a blood test done last week for anaemia so maybe its got something to do with that?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
i dont do it myself (i dont think) but ive noticed other (esp boys) do it all the time...my dad, boyfriend, exboyfriend all jump and twitch when theyre sleeping! i think its pretty normal, just your muscles relaxing.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
it's normal to twitch when you're falling asleep. but a constant twitch in your eyelids for example means that you're lacking zinc, and supplements are reccomended. once i had my eyelid twitching for 3 days straight.. ugh. goes away once you get zinc though.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I twitch a little as I'm falling asleep, so does my boyfriend. I also will have an arm twitch or something if I'm zoning out for a while.<br><br><br><br>
I've had numerous blood tests, MRIs, etc, (had a seizure a few years ago and they were trying to find out why) and everything came out normal. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well I just got back from the doctor and I'm NOT deficient in iron (yay) but I need to eat more salt and calcium to see if that's what's causing the twitches (they happen when I'm completely awake as I discovered the other day - quite embarrassing). If that doesn't help I have to go back to the neurologist. I actually had a bit of an aneurism scare late last year - popping noises in my head followed by excrutiating pain - so I guess he's worried about that.<br><br><br><br>
Other than that though he said if the extra salt/calcium doesn't work I have to get tested for tourettes (sp?) even though that's usually a continuing thing, not something you just get. Weird. Well I'm off to eat a big hunk'a cheese dipped in sea salt Mmm *splutter*.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i tend to twitch most of the time, allways have, facial mostly eye nose mouth whole thing . i've allways just considered it a bad tic.for the most part i just deal with it and no one really mentions it ...but occasionly someone will say something and then it gets really bad. but, then i dont really want to get it checked out because i figure theyll just try to put me on a perscription for some thing with side affects much worse than the actual problem.<br><br>
i think it has some connection with me having a bit of ocd's.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I used to have a serious eye twitching problem, but I thought it was stress related. ^^;;;<br><br><br><br>
I must be doing something right, because it doesn't bother me now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
A number of twitches are caused by stress, lack of zinc, and/or dehydration.<br><br><br><br>
Pop some nuts along with your snacks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
actually it does get allot worse in social situations, i'm not nessecarily antisocial, i'm, just not very good at it. i think most people tend to stress me out.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by stellamew</i><br><br><b>i tend to twitch most of the time, allways have, facial mostly eye nose mouth whole thing . i've allways just considered it a bad tic.for the most part i just deal with it and no one really mentions it ...but occasionly someone will say something and then it gets really bad. but, then i dont really want to get it checked out because i figure theyll just try to put me on a perscription for some thing with side affects much worse than the actual problem.<br><br>
i think it has some connection with me having a bit of ocd's.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
OCD is actually related to tourettes - as is ADD (which I was diagnosed with as a kid). People with tics are moer likely to have OCD's, ADD and suffer from depression. Weird huh.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Small twitches are normal. Large twitches accompanied by slight pain as you twitch, may be due to vitamin b12 deficiency (early reversible sign).

·
Registered
0 Posts
funny, i actually remember my my asking my psycologist if he thought i might have touretts. he thought it was highly unlikely.( i don't think she was asking because of the twitching tho,).

·
Registered
0 Posts
yea i got twichy legs sometimes, when they get cramped for a long time they jitter sand stuff. i have looked into it htining it what restless leg syndrom. but i dot belive it was. i'd check into that for yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts