VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i got some dry TVP at the health food store today. i never bought it in this form. do i have to put it in water before i do whatever it is im going to do with it?

i got granules and chunks.

i plan to use some for tacos/burritos..........and chili........and the chunks somt kind of stew.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I made a delicious black bean soup/chili with some today in my crockpot.

16 oz. dried black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight

6 cups vegetable broth

1 chopped onion

6 cloves minced garlic

1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes

1 cup of tvp

Cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper as you please

Rinse the beans and discard the soaking water. Mix all the ingredients in the crockpot, set on low and let cook for at least 8 hours. Serve with rice, or with corn chips and whatever toppings you like - we did some sour supreme and salsa. Very delicious, easy, and cheap!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I defiantely wouldn't reconstitute it in just plain water. I've only used it once in chili but made the mistake of using just plain water & not doing it in like a veggie broth or with spices mixed with the water, and it tasted REALLY bland.

So if your thinking about doing it for tacos, I would use OregonAmy's tips about adding the seasoning to the water!

HTH,

Michelle

·
Registered
73 Posts
after you get it seasoned and flavored the way you like it, then you can make tortilla dough, put it in the middle and fry it.......TVP empanadas!!! I am sure there is a formal recipe for this somewhere.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What's the ratio of water to tvp that is need to reconstitute it?

Last time I made something (that wasn't chili) with TVP, I used too much water and it wasn't fully absorbed. Blech.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I second what Amy said/ Always use boiling water/liquid. It makes the final product more tender.

I fully reconstitute my TVP and drain before adding to any recipe. That way I know it'll be plenty 'soft' and have absorbed as much liquid as it needs...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Okay I have TVP... and I need to use it.

I was thinking of grinding it into powder form, adding some vegetables like bell peppers and onions. Then add hot water and olive oil... make it into a meatball?

Or do you have to mix it with hot water and seasoning? Does it thicken after adding water? or does it become soupy??

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have never ground it. I know the granuals "grow" once water is added. I have made a meatloaf out of them. I didn't reconstitute to the recommendation. I reconcsitituted until it "felt right". I added a little, hand mixed, added more, etc... until it was right. That might be an option for you too. It wasn't "firm" as it would have been with beef, but if I did it again, I might add flour to make it more "firm". I would also make it a little dry since the meats "Fat" cooks off. With TVP, that doesn't happen so dryer is better. Good Luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah, great as a pasta sauce.

So i grounded the TVP, with red bell peppers, cilantros, green onion, then mixed it with olive oil, white flour, salt, blk pepper, spices. It smelled great but it tasted bland. I forgot to add in ginger/garlic/chili.

I made it as a veggie pattie. Not bad for a start!! I cant wait to make more tomorrow!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.