VeggieBoards banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Did y'all watch some of these shows as children?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I was just looking at some of the titles, like Murphy Brown, Thirtysomething, etc. and amazed that children watched those.

ETA: This is the best Superfriends flavor:

When I lived in Grand Rapids (MI), the courthouse there was called the Hall of Justice (this was the best pic I could find: http://www6.worldisround.com/photos/3/97/324.jpg). I can't believe I never got my picture taken there. I know it's not the only HOJ in the country, but I still thought it was way cool. Sadly they tore it down in 2001 or 2002, I think to build a concert hall.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
WR--Thanks for the "Letterman Beginning" video. I never knew his roots, so to speak.

·
Registered
20,214 Posts
Don't be surprised at the idea of children watching shows aimed at older audiences. When I was a kid in the 1960's I watched TV shows that weren't all designed specifically for kids. One of the shows that was a big hit with kids back then was Get Smart, which surprised its creators, Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, since the sitcom was a spoof of the spy dramas and the James Bond movies that were popular with adults at that time. I could list the others, but I think I already did.

ETA: Obviously, since I wasn't the only late boomer who watched those 60's shows, there have been a whole bunch of 60's shows with theatrical remakes, such as The Avengers, Mission:Impossible, Bewitched, Get Smart, and The Wild Wild West. I watched all those original TV shows. I haven't bothered to watch the theatrical versions.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Don't be surprised at the idea of children watching shows aimed at older audiences. When I was a kid in the 1960's I watched TV shows that weren't all designed specifically for kids. One of the shows that was a big hit with kids back then was Get Smart, which surprised its creators, Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, since the sitcom was a spoof of the spy dramas and the James Bond movies that were popular with adults at that time. I could list the others, but I think I already did.
I loved watching Get Smart reruns as a kid. I had a ridiculously complex ordeal around the holidays when I tried to purchase the first 2 seasons on dvd. So ridiculous, in fact, that I will share it here:

I was at Target with my best friend, Matt, looking to purchase some nostalgia. I saw a combo pack of Get Smart, seasons 1 and 2 for $20. I couldn't resist... The next day, when I went to watch it, I discovered that Season 1, disc 1 had a crack right through it. We went back to Target, but they didn't have any more in stock to do an even exchange, and they said they couldn't give me a refund, because the item was discontinued and the register would not allow the transaction. So the wonderfully patient and helpful clerks called a bunch of other stores to find one in stock, way out in the middle of nowhere. My best friend went and picked it up for me and while in the store, he made sure all the discs were in tact.

A month or so later... I was getting ready to watch Season 1, disc 3 and found, much to my "amusement" that the case contained Season 1, disc 1, disc 2, disc 4 and disc 4 AGAIN, with no disc 3. So I called the store where I made the original purchase and they told me to come in for an electronics credit, since they can't return open media. I went in, told the girl the whole story, and two minutes later she informs me the balance in full will be refunded to my credit card... Seriously.

So after all that, I still don't own any of the seasons, but I got my money back...

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

ETA: Obviously, since I wasn't the only late boomer who watched those 60's shows, there have been a whole bunch of 60's shows with theatrical remakes, such as The Avengers, Mission:Impossible, Bewitched, Get Smart, and The Wild Wild West. I watched all those original TV shows. I haven't bothered to watch the theatrical versions.
I get it, but there's a big difference between the prop gags and double entendres of Get Smart, and the largely dialogue-driven, middle-age angst stuff of Thirty Something.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Ooh, how did I miss that before (though my version came a bit later):

I think perhaps that after say, age 5, TV ads had as much of an affect on me as the programs themselves. "I'd like to buy the world a Coke", "Hey....Koolaid", "Don't squeeze the Charmin", "Silly Rabbit, Trix are for Kids", "Oscar Mayer has a way with B O L O G N A", "Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?", "Gee, your hair smells terrific", "Meow Meow Meow Meow", "Uh-oh, SpaghettiO's", and of course wondering how many licks it really did take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop....have all stuck with me far more than most any show I watched during latter childhood.

(Sweet Moses, this is what's wrong with America
)

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Ooh, how did I miss that before (though my version came a bit later):

I think perhaps that after say, age 5, TV ads had as much of an affect on me as the programs themselves. "I'd like to buy the world a Coke", "Hey....Koolaid", "Don't squeeze the Charmin", "Silly Rabbit, Trix are for Kids", "Oscar Mayer has a way with B O L O G N A", "Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?", "Gee, your hair smells terrific", "Meow Meow Meow Meow", "Uh-oh, SpaghettiO's", and of course wondering how many licks it really did take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop....have all stuck with me far more than most any show I watched during latter childhood.

(Sweet Moses, this is what's wrong with America
)
Throw in "I'm just a Bill", which was supposedly educational, but I don't remember the details enough to have learned anything from it, and I agree.

--Fromper

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Throw in "I'm just a Bill", which was supposedly educational, but I don't remember the details enough to have learned anything from it, and I agree.

--Fromper

"I'm Just a Bill" and the other Schoolhouse Rock features don't get lumped with commercials. They were a regular series of short programs that just happened to air in the commercial slots.

Schoolhouse Rock exists in its own category.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Creature Feature was great.
I was raised on that stuff also!

I love cheesey horror stuff! My dad would watch that and westerns as he slept in his big chair.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts