VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What TV shows did you enjoy as a kid that you still enjoy as an adult?

Here are a few of my favorites from the 60's... Lost in Space had a kick-ass opening sequence:

Lost in Space

Also...

Land of the Giants

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

The Time Tunnel

Pretty much anything Irwin Allen did, plus:

Star Trek

The Twilight Zone

Night Gallery

I had a pretty disturbing childhood and Lost in Space was my getaway. I so wanted to be on that ship. I would run home every afternoon (after being beat-up by the older kids after school) and I just wanted so much to be Will Robinson with the cool dad and the robot who looked out after him.

So...

What are your favorite childhood TV shows?

·
Registered
20,214 Posts
This is more like it.
These are not the only shows I watched. But these affected me the most.

Gilligan's Island

Bewitched

The Addams Family

The Munsters

Batman

The Monkees

Get Smart

Rocky and Bulwinkle

and when I was a tinier tot, Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop. (They were a big hit with my sister's kids when the kids were little, but Shari Lewis actually got her start when *I* was a kid in the 1960's)

ETA: Okay, reread the OP. The above are the KIDS shows that I watched when I was a kid.

Following are the shows I watched when I was older that still affect me:

Star Trek: TOS

M*A*S*H

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Saturday Night LIve (I only watched the first five seasons)

The Dick Van **** Show (watched in reruns)

MacGyver (mostly watched in reruns as I didn't discover it until very late in its run)

Quantum Leap

Early Edition

·
Registered
20,214 Posts
Oh, yeah, and how could I forget The Twilight Zone and Mission:Impossible? Two very wonderful series that I still love today.

ETA: A lot of people express surprise that I don't ever mention shows such as Sesame Street and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood among influences, but why should I? I'm 50 years old. Those shows came along at a time when I was transitioning from kids' shows to shows aimed at teens and adults. By the time they arrived, I was watching the Partridge Family and the Brady Bunch, and discovering All in the Family and then the MTM show. Definitely not shows for 2-5 year olds.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Oh, yeah, and how could I forget The Twilight Zone and Mission:Impossible? Two very wonderful series that I still love today.
I bought some Twilight Zone episodes a while back. I also really liked The Rat Patrol from around that period as well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

ETA: A lot of people express surprise that I don't ever mention shows such as Sesame Street and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood among influences, but why should I? I'm 50 years old. Those shows came along at a time when I was transitioning from kids' shows to shows aimed at teens and adults. By the time they arrived, I was watching the Partridge Family and the Brady Bunch, and discovering All in the Family and then the MTM show. Definitely not shows for 2-5 year olds.
I hear ya. I'm 45 years old and only peripherally watched Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street. I much prefered The Electric Company and the Big Blue Marble. They were edgier, in that soft 70s kind of way.

Oh, and I still get goosebumps whenever I see MTM throw her tam into the air. It just gets me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
An episode of Star Trek: Voyager I saw when I was young about psychotic circus characters makes me afraid of circuses, painted faces and certain pastel colours..

I found a picture:

Creepy, eh?

They were circus people that inhabit a virtual world. If you thought about leaving the virtual world they would get this guillotine out and chop your head off, killing your in the real world too.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I used to watch Lost in Space, too. And I think when Batman came on, in those pre-dvd/vhs days, the whole family gathered around to watch. Otherwise, the following three are on my list because, even now, sometimes I'll remember one of the scenes or jokes and laugh.

Welcome Back, Kotter

I Love Lucy

Sanford and Son

There was one really funny Sanford and Son where the dad flew for the first time and took out some fried chicken from a paper bag once they were in the air. The son (forgot his name) was super embarrassed and said something like, "Dad, what did you bring that for? They give you food on the plane!" I was thinking about that show the other day when I was talking with someone about how they don't serve food to all the passengers on domestic flights (in Japan) anymore, even if it's mealtime. I guess that whole scene wouldn't be funny anymore.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Another vote for Twilight Zone. I always watched this as a kid and teenager. Each episode was a little morality tale or provocative subject that really made me think. There are so many little lessons on life that I first learned watching TZ.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts