VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through my pantry for something to eat and saw that I still had a box of Tuna Helper (Fetuccinni Alfredo) from a couple of months ago (when I was still omnivore).

I decided to make it but instead of tuna, I added a can of sliced mushrooms, a can of sliced black olives, and chopped onions.

The results...

Mmm-Mmm Good.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds good , I think. Well the onion, olives, and mushies definitely sound good!

Tuna Helper, Hamburger Helper ?? Are they just flavourings and stuff? Are there any other helpers?

·
Registered
590 Posts
yea you should check the mix, because i think there is tuna fish flavoring in things like that. im not sure if it is artificial or not. worth checking for sure tho

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_fabiani View Post

yea you should check the mix, because i think there is tuna fish flavoring in things like that. im not sure if it is artificial or not. worth checking for sure tho
I'll check. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

Tuna Helper, Hamburger Helper ?? Are they just flavourings and stuff? Are there any other helpers?
Yeah, they're just flavorings and noodles.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
oh that sounds pretty good.

i love canned mushrooms and olives, yummy when you dont have time to slice up and prepare fresh mushrooms.

i throw them in spag sauce, on pizza, and in salad all the time.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
wrt the flavorings, does it just say "flavoring"?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, so I checked the ingredients...

It doesnt say anything about "tuna" flavoring, but that doesnt mean its not there.

It might be disguised as some technical-sounding word that I'd have no idea what it means.

Milk was one of the ingredients though, so if you are %100 percent vegan, then you'll probably want to skip it.

So I dont know...

I was just hungry, and threw some stuff together. It was tasty, so I thought I'd share it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You have to check each individual flavor. Some of the hamburger helpers have beef fat in them, but others are vegetarian before you add the meat.

We have a very old tuna helper in the cupboard. If it hasn't gone bad maybe I'll try this.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
My kids make the Hamburger Helpers every so often. Some are vegetarian at least. Not vegan though. Which is fine by me since they sorta weird me out... As do canned mushrooms - they bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to fresh mushrooms IMHO. They kinda remind me of slugs in fact :p Hmmm... I might need to start another thread...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've never eaten any kind of "Helper" but one of my absolute favorite comfort foods as a child was tuna noodle casserole. It's one of the few meat foods that I miss. Since becoming vegetarian, I've been working for years to hone my recreated recipe of it. (It bears very little resemblance to the original recipe now, and is far healthier) I used tuno for a long time, but really wasn't satisfied with it. Just recently I tried using tempeh instead, and both my husband and I decided that was a hit. I bet it would make a good substitute with Tuna Helper as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
you can always add tuno...i made tuna casserole using the frozen tuno a few weeks ago, and it turned out really well. imo, the canned tuno is nasty, so try the frozen kind first. the canned is cubed if i remember correctly, whereas the frozen is a flaky consistency.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Adding mushrooms sound good and maybe some corn. As for the hamburger helper I use morning star crumbles and my boyfriend could not tell the difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts