VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically I've been craving a tuna sandwich like a crazy person for a week now. I don't understand why even. I've been making sure I eat a balanced diet with all the proper nutrients and vitamins, so I think its more just a craving for something I used to eat. Sometimes I'll walk to my pantry and just stare at the canned tuna but so far I haven't gotten any closer than that to eating it. I saw canned mock tuna at whole foods once. At the time that seemed gross to me but I'm almost tempted to try it now. Anyone have any mock tuna recipes maybe? Or tried the canned stuff at whole foods and found it good?

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I like this one from the VB recipe section, but I will take some nori sheets or Trader Joe's Roasted Seaweed Snacks and pulverize them into a powder using a handheld coffee grinder and add that to give it the taste of the sea:

Mock Tuna Salad

·
Registered
245 Posts
I made the chickpea 'tuna' salad last week and I was surprised how REAL it tasted. I also added some 'sea vegetables' sprinkled on it. It was super good.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Another vote for the chickpea salad. I, too, make it mostly the way I did tuna salad, with a few twists on occasion. Sometimes, I mix the vegenaise with srirachi sauce for a little zip. Other times, I add cucumbers and shredded carrots to the mix. I also eat in a wrap or on crackers.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Great job dealing with the craving! I also love chickpea 'tuna', especially in a sandwich. But my preference is to not make it taste too fishy.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

Great job dealing with the craving! I also love chickpea 'tuna', especially in a sandwich. But my preference is to not make it taste too fishy.
Same here. I don't make it fishy tasting at all actually. I make different variations of it. Sometimes I make it spicy with a lot of spicy mustard and hot sauce and sometimes I make it more of a curry chickpea salad. One thing is always a must though and that's using a TON of chopped onions (sweet or red onions are my favorites).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly6 View Post

Thanks everyone! I tried the recipe and it was close enough to kill my craving, very yummy
Keep up the good work! You can veggie it all! Anything you had before you can have again. Some things may take a little more time to prepare than others. But this recipe is a great sandwich winner.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i make mock tuna by shredding pre cooked fake chicken into very small pieces with a grater and then adding dulse flakes or a bit of vegan fish sauce [available from asian supermarkets] to give it a tuna like flavour. also add some salt & pepper to jazz it up a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
3 cups soaked raw sunflower seeds ( soak 2-4 hour in filtered water drain and dry on towels or in dehydrator) sunflower seeds need to be ground in food processor after they are dry. Process until it starts to look like tuna.

3-4 stalks celery diced

½ bunch green onions diced

¼ cup dried dill

Dressing:

1 ½ cups Thai coconut water

6 cloves garlic peeled

1 cup fresh lemon juice

1 T sea salt

2 ½ cups raw macadamia nuts or cashews or pine nuts or combo

½ cup stone ground mustard

In large mixing bowl mix salad ingredients until well mixed.

For dressing put all ingredients into high speed blender until thoroughly blended pour dressing over tuna salad mixture. It will seem like there is too much dressing but it is absorbed so keep mixing it in.

You can put dulse in it if you want the sea flavor--but I think it's pretty good without it.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Adding a teaspoon of kelp powder (you can find that at a lot of heath food stores) to any mock tuna salad gives it an authentic "fishy" flavor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts