VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
My parents usually mail their ballots, but that didn't happen this time, so I'm hand delivering their completed ballots for them tomorrow. I was going to do the same thing, but I just didn't take the time to sit down and go over all that stuff. I took my sample ballot over to my parents house, got my mother's sample ballot (since she did the research and I didn't and I generally trust her judgement; our political views, while not 100% exact on everything, are pretty close to being the same), and checked off in my ballot what she checked off in hers. We live in the same district, so that was no problem there. I'll get my actual ballot ready tonight, seal it up, and hand deliver theirs and mine tomorrow. At least I won't have to wait in line to vote.

The polling place in my neighborhood used to be pretty dead until Dubya came to power.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
My husband is an election judge; he won't let me not vote! It won't probably make a huge difference for me to vote in this predominantly GOP area, but who knows, maybe even here folks might be sick of the way things have been going.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Someone once told me that voting is the most patriotic thing you can do - it shows you believe in your country.

Well, whether I do or not, I voted on my way to work this morning. I did my part to get my friend the opposition Congress he wants for Christmas this year.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

There is nothing more important than taking the time to vote.
Yes there is: doing something to directly help and/or influence your local community.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you live in Arizona, vote for Proposition 204, which is on the ballot and will put an end to two of the worst factory farm abuses: the intensive confinement of mother pigs and male dairy calves in crates so narrow they can't turn around.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My small contribution to getting democratic canidates voted in is done.

PS: No factory farming bill here in VT to vote on.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I stopped & voted on the way to the gym. The only ones I really focused on were governor, the proposal to ban affirmative action, and the proposal to let people shoot doves.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If I were to vote I would first have to acknowledge that the voting system is legitimate. Since I am not willing to acknowledge this, I will not vote. Think of my no vote as a protest vote.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Looks like we Californians have the Governator for another term. No surprise there.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cftwo View Post

Someone once told me that voting is the most patriotic thing you can do - it shows you believe in your country.
Not if you think patriotism is as bad as racism and you're voting against patriotic policies that favor one group of people (americans) over another group.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Not if you think patriotism is as bad as racism and you're voting against patriotic policies that favor one group of people (americans) over another group.
Wha?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think there are a few definitions of "patriotic." There's the "my country/government is always right and to h*** with what everyone else thinks." And then there's the "This is a good system of government and I can vote to change it if I want!" view of patriotism. I fall into the latter category - people and governments aren't perfect, but we have a pretty good system and voting is my way of participating in it.

But I can see kpickell's point - if you define patriotic by the first definition, I'd probably be seen as pretty UNpatriotic. Even if I did vote.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Snownose, what happened to the ballot measure you mentioned? . . .

"If you live in Arizona, vote for Proposition 204, which is on the ballot and will put an end to two of the worst factory farm abuses: the intensive confinement of mother pigs and male dairy calves in crates so narrow they can't turn around."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts