VeggieBoards banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenguin View Post

The health food store stuff is really expensive; Wild Oats wanted ten bucks a jar! Look in the yellow pages for a Middle Eastern supermarket. It's cheap as all heck ($3 vs $10) and the people there told me it's all the same stuff.
Most find Middle Eastern store! Good tip. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherijohnson View Post

I have made hummus many times, don't use the tahini - you don't need it. Use everything else and it will taste great!
Ohhh, good to know! I'm not a big fan of tahini, but it's ok mixed into the hummus. I always thought you had to have it, so I just used it. Next time I'll try it without. Maybe it'll be even better.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've never added tahini in mine. I'm usually way to poor to add more then lime and garlic. Sometimes I add a little bit of baking powder, flour, BBQ sauce, and diced tomatoes in mine and fry it up and make little patties when I'm tired of just spreading it on bread or with chips. Makes a great quick lunch if I allready have some hummus made...

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Most supermarkets sell tahini, vastly cheaper than the health food store. I've not yet come across a generic supermarket that does not stock it. Try in the "weird foods" section, rather than the peanut butter or world foods section.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts