VeggieBoards banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Before I went vegan, I was a big cheese-oholic and didn't think I could take the plunge (that mindset stopped me from going vegan for a while). Milk was easy to give up, just swapping it for rice or almond milk for my cereals, smoothies and baking, and tried to drink more water instead of a glass of milk. I was never a big fan of yogurt, but there are some good soy yogurts available that I have tried out of curiosity. Daiya was my saving grace when I finally decided to go vegan, for a month I was making grilled "cheese" sandwiches and pizzas, mac n "cheese", it was never ending, and I was beginning to think I was going to end up failing, considering how many cheese substitutes I was going through.

Then the unthinkable happened: I lost all craving for cheese. It took maybe a month and I didn't notice that I stopped craving till about two months after going vegan. Looking back, I can see why I was going through all the cheese substitutes because I felt I needed it. Then I stopped buying them, and started broadening my food palate, trying to eat more fresh, homecooked meals, then realized that none of my meals included some vegan form of "cheese".

I realize that cheese and other dairy products contain some sort of enzyme in our bodies that make us crave it. It may seem hard and first, and by all means, try cheese substitutes if you think it will help. They'll be pricey at first, but you just need to wait out the first few months before your body stops craving it. After you'll feel like you wont need them any more.

Just go for the plunge,

1 - 1 of 1 Posts