VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post

Thanks everyone for the great responses and encouragement. I decided last night after supper that yesterday was my last day of cheese. It is just unhealthy and I it bothers me to eat things when I don't know where they come from or how they are made. JoshJames is right, there are more important things than my taste. I gave up meat without a single craving, I quit coffee and soda both cold turkey and never missed either. I changed from milk chocolate to dark (very) dark chocolate without batting an eye. So I can do cheese too. I'm setting an example for my children and eating and using cheese is making me feel like a hypocrite.

I love the idea of a grilled avocado sandwich and am actually contemplating a grilled peanut butter for lunch today with my tomato soup instead of cheese.

I can do this!
Banzai! You'll do it, we're all cheering for you
Remember: it's a bodily secretion of another mammal that's meant for their babies. You don't need it. You are not dependent on it. You're a strong enough person to live happily even if you give up a food item. Don't let it dominate you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

i never eat cheese really but last 2 weeks had a more then usual which gave me huge break out it wasnt pretty so now also trying to cut out diary completely, I do not enjoy rice or soya milk and can't find almond milk in cape town (not yet anyway) -

what is the rule when you pick chocolate? does it have to be 70% or higher dark chocolate?

Luckily I never liked cheese so no problem giving that up.

I switched to rooibos tea and black coffee to avoid milk.

What products have hidden dairy in it?
Have you tried different brands of soy milk? There's only one brand so far that I like, everything else is mediocre at best. Don't give up until you've tried every brand!

Dark chocolate typically doesn't use milk, I've found that 70% and up is generally dairy free, but it always depends on the brand. My favourite marzipan-filled chocolate is vegan!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post

As far as chocolate goes, I have always loved it as well. I found many years ago that I prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate and ate lots of hershey's dark. Recently, I started looking for the highest percent cocoa I could find which is usually around 80%. Nothing this high has ever had dairy that I've seen. There are two huge advantages to really dark chocolate:
1) no one else in my house will go near it so I never have to worry about having a craving and finding myself unknowingly out of it; and 2) with really dark chocolate a little goes a long way. I can't even finish a recommended serving without feeling overfull so it is really hard to overindulge. According to my family it's really bitter though. I don't taste it, I just find it satisfyingly rich.
The highest I've ever had was - sit down - 99%. It was reallllly bitter and tasted kind of powdery, actually, but it's one of those try-it-before-you-die things
Normally I prefer 80-85% though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts