VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else trying so hard to gain weight and finding it futile? It is something I have been working at, off and on, for two years now, and have never had lasting results. Somehow my weight always drops down again, and now it is lower than ever (5 foot 7 and 106 pounds...yikes!)

I had an eating disorder in high school, which still affects my mindset sometimes, but I don't think that is the issue - I also run most days, but only 30 mins.

Any tips, stories, anyone who relates? Soooo frustrating! Just had to rant!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wonder if any of the vegan bodybuilding sites would be able to help - they must have the same or at least a similar problem, of trying to build themselves up while doing regular exercise (and I would imagine much more than the rest of us
)

Try a search - it's worth a try

Dame xx

·
Registered
100 Posts
30 minutes running is actually quite a lot

you need to consume more calories than you are using

you could be using 300kcals or more which is a lot!

i got the same problem, but i got an eating disorder and am trying to recover.

high calories foods following your run, or a high calories juice might help

Or cut down on the running.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspickle View Post

Is anyone else trying so hard to gain weight and finding it futile? It is something I have been working at, off and on, for two years now, and have never had lasting results. Somehow my weight always drops down again, and now it is lower than ever (5 foot 7 and 106 pounds...yikes!)

I had an eating disorder in high school, which still affects my mindset sometimes, but I don't think that is the issue - I also run most days, but only 30 mins.

Any tips, stories, anyone who relates? Soooo frustrating! Just had to rant!
Hey misspickle...

how are you?

Please provide a days worth of your nutritional intake (food
) and the approximate surving size for each. It may be as simple as not eating enough, and not consuming the right percentages of each macronutrtient.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi BarryLove,

A typical day (NOT trying to gain weight, just sustain) looks like this:

Breakfast:

1 serving quick oatmeal

1 apple

1 tbsp raisins

1/2 C soymilk

some raw vegetables

1 tbsp peanut butter

Lunch:

-a tofu sandwich, nut butter, and vegetables

Dinner:

roasted vegetables and tofu (with olive oil and balsamic)

toast with margarine

Snack:

something like cereal with fruit, vegetables with nut butter and tofu, etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspickle View Post

Hi BarryLove,

A typical day (NOT trying to gain weight, just sustain) looks like this:

Breakfast:

1 serving quick oatmeal

1 apple

1 tbsp raisins

1/2 C soymilk

some raw vegetables

1 tbsp peanut butter

Lunch:

-a tofu sandwich, nut butter, and vegetables

Dinner:

roasted vegetables and tofu (with olive oil and balsamic)

toast with margarine

Snack:

something like cereal with fruit, vegetables with nut butter and tofu, etc.
From what I see, it definetly looks like you need more food

You work out hard, so you should be eating every 4-5 hours if you can. Add a snack between breakfast and lunch and between lunch adn dinner. Try a protein shake, with nuts and or nut butter in it or have it with nut butter and a fruit on the side OR put it all together in a blender! YUMMY

You can also add a nice size salad at lunch and dinner with dressing. The fat is going to help you gainas well as more food. Most importantly, only increase your caloric intake if you are going to maintain your current workout regime. If you slack on the exercise, then please make sure you cut back on the food

Good Luck!

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
do let us know how it goes... I have the same problem, except I've never had an eating disorder. I just plain forget to eat on occasion (not intentionally) the crazy thing is I love food, love cooking...

I know for a fact it's my caloric intake too b/c since nursing i've lost 10lbs from what i weighed prepregnancy (nursing takes a bunch more calories)...

perhaps you and i and piratemoon can build a mini support network. i know my biggest problem is having easy to take along foods on hand... i'm a mom in my last year of college and work two part time jobs

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am trying to gain some weight also. I had an ED earlier in my life too. I have been going to a RD lately who suggested grazing more also. I get very busy and forget to eat very often still. I do at least eat three meals a day. I understand the need and the hard work. I do hope it'll be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was comforting to know someone else is having the same problem!! Most people have issues trying to lose weight, but I too am trying to gain weight. I am 5'4" and 99 pounds. I had been under 95 pounds and got up to 100 pounds (by eating mostly junk food sad to say was the only way I could do it). But then I got really sick, lost the weight again and starting all over!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts