VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often I find myself frustrated and on the odd occasion even irate with those around me who find it acceptable to eat other animals: the majority of the population. I consider myself a patient human being, I try to be as understanding and open with those around me as far as my mind allows me to be. I do have an anxiety disorder however which can often create a greater burden. What upsets me the most is when I find meat in my vegetarian meals whether it be there from others cooking and it carelessly makes its way on my plate. This world certainly can be maddening but I always have hope in humanity. We certainly are a funny species, having the capabilities to achieve great spiritual depth and at the same time willing to suppress our own nature in order conform to societal norms. We are as easily manipulated as we are as easily offended by anything that contradicts our ego. We need online communities such as veggie boards to all us to support one another in our healthful and spiritual journeys because we are incredibly social animals, reliant on the power of connection. I can't speak for every one else but I sure as hell would feel a lot more lonely, isolated even if I didn't have the opportunity to express my raw emotions through online threads that vg boards provides.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Lots of people do things that irritate us. even fellow veg*ns. It does seem unreal how most of us are numb or ignorant about the horror humans put animals through. But we cannot live in this world without going insane unless we manage to tolerate the actions of the majority

·
Registered
110 Posts
I totally understand. My patience for ignorance is getting thinner by the day. I've actually stopped speaking to some people who have been rude, naive and unopened to ask themselves the hard questions.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Great spiritual depth and yet at the same time willing to suppress our own nature to conform to societal norms ? That seems to be a conflicting statement.

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
I let meat eaters live their own life, and let it go at that.

I get irritated at the "People Eating Tasty Animals" or "Vegetarian - Indian Word for Bad Hunter" t-shirts. :mad:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Everybody is in this world to do his/her karm (actions) as per their intellect. If somebody does bad karm by eating animals, they will have to pay for it one day. We are doing our good karm by not eating animals. The basic nature of our real self (spirit) is being peaceful & calm & we should follow that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm not particularly patient but try to make up for it with tolerance and understanding. I ate meat for years, decades even, before becoming vegetarian. It would therefore be rather hypocritical of me to judge everyone else for eating as I did before.

So I try to show the people around me the same understanding and kindness that vegetarians showed me as a meat eater. If I'd met vegetarians who judged me and blamed me and were generally intolerant I'd have had no positive role models and probably wouldn't have seen vegetarianism in a positive light.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I let meat eaters live their own life, and let it go at that.

I get irritated at the "People Eating Tasty Animals" or "Vegetarian - Indian Word for Bad Hunter" t-shirts. :mad:
If someone tells me that I say: "The fact that I am a bad hunter has nothing to do with the fact that I am a vegetarian." I mean I could still eat meat others hunt, but I do not right? So I just do not get that shirt. C'mon people make a funny joke about vegetarians. So sad they can't do that.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I agree that it can be frustrating...But I think outlets like VB can help :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great spiritual depth and yet at the same time willing to suppress our own nature to conform to societal norms ? That seems to be a conflicting statement.
By "nature" I refer to our physiological requirements. Yes, we are social animals, it is rooted in our nature. It is paradoxical that our own social needs are greatly responsible for the suppression of our physiological needs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not particularly patient but try to make up for it with tolerance and understanding. I ate meat for years, decades even, before becoming vegetarian. It would therefore be rather hypocritical of me to judge everyone else for eating as I did before.

So I try to show the people around me the same understanding and kindness that vegetarians showed me as a meat eater. If I'd met vegetarians who judged me and blamed me and were generally intolerant I'd have had no positive role models and probably wouldn't have seen vegetarianism in a positive light.
Believe me I agree with every word you are saying, and when I am around meat eaters I am always considerate because almost all of us were once it that mind set and it is hard to channel a vegetarians perspective as someone who consumes animal products as it greatly defies the ego of that individual but when I am on my own, sometimes I cannot help but let my frustration out through outlets as veggie boards. Sometimes it is maddening if one is surrounded by meat eaters who aren't considerate and who in the most extreme cases, violently disagree. It is reassuring to know that humans are scared. We all are because this society is not designed for means of compassion but rather the greed of a disheartened animal. That animal being the human being.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I often get a bit irritated when trying to reason with people. I avoid talking about veg*anism and animal rights with certain people - most people actually, because it's impossible to predict how they'll react. I hate getting into debates with others, because omnis often tend take it very personal and get offended when their "lifestyle" is questioned.

I have grown to appreciate this forum so much. It's such a safe haven! We can safely rant and discuss how we feel about this stuff without getting silenced or laughed at. Even thinking about all those failed conversations and the humiliation I've had to go through makes my blood boil.

I ate meat for years, decades even, before becoming vegetarian. It would therefore be rather hypocritical of me to judge everyone else for eating as I did before.

This is a great, great point!

·
Registered
439 Posts
By "nature" I refer to our physiological requirements. Yes, we are social animals, it is rooted in our nature. It is paradoxical that our own social needs are greatly responsible for the suppression of our physiological needs.
The journey into greater spiritual depth (healthy plant based purity) is largely about learning to not be affected negatively by any relations in our surroundings no matter what that (meat eaters and such nature) is.
You are right to point out that the more we advance the less that we have to relate to.
A person evolved to an advanced state would not consider it wise to partake (very) much in the goings on in this world. And would know that nature will take them to a better place where they can belong and relate (in the future, when ready).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I feel you.

Most of my friends and family are supportive, I've been vegetarian for years now and they've come to terms with it if they originally disapproved.

But every once in a while I'll meet someone new and I'll get the same rude questions and remarks over and over. They'll illogically go on about their love for bacon as if I'll stop and say, "OH! I forgot about bacon! Time to go back to eating meat!" - or will go on and on about my pet rabbit being food.

It's tough, but in my experience it gets better if you don't feed the trolls. Most people will stop once they see they're not really achieving anything by being jerks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is something the whole community shares, so don't get too frustrated with meat eaters. One of the top two things that irritate me the most is people suggesting that if they cook me meat then I would just LOVE it, even after I explain that it would make me very sick. The second is when people complain about buying live seafood or touching raw meat, but then eat it anyway. Smh if it's so disgusting why bother?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts