VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Stevie Dyar, and I am new to this forum. I am trying once again to become vegetarian. I have successfully done it before, but quit all of a sudden. I need some tips on how to start for this vegetarian diet. Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Why have you chosen to be vegetarian? If it's for the animals, I recommend watching Earthlings to shock yourself into not wanting to eat meat. Sometimes the graphic evidence is enough to shock you straight! Well, it worked for me!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forster, I can't do that. I'm the only one in my family that is vegetarian.
Maryv, I have chosen to be vegetarian for my health and for the animals. The graphic evidence is enough for me. I saw it on a website called chooseveg.com. It was pretty nasty.

·
Registered
585 Posts
AWesome StevieAdele! not that it's nasty, that you're doing it for your health and the animals! lol
For me, the trick to staying on track diet-wise is to plan out what I'll be eating for a whole week, making a list based on that, then doing my shopping all on one day. I did a lil blog post about it a few weeks ago:http://www.marystestkitchen.com/2011...r-lazy-people/

·
Registered
585 Posts
Why is it hard? Is it because of cravings, peer pressure, or nothing else good to eat around?

For dealing with cravings, try meat alternatives. Gardien makes alts that are SCARY-CLOSE to the real thing. However, if you keep eating meat alts, you might never lose your taste for meat. I know that it will make me crave the meat-taste more. But it helps when your fam is eating meat right next to you.

If your fam is taunting you with meat, you may want to have a serious sit-down talk with them. Depending on your family dynamic, this often works because they will realize how important it is to you and how much they are hurting your feelings when with teasing.

If you're choosing meat products out of convenience, you'll want to stock up on healthy snacks that you will actually like! Take some time to plan it out.

For self-motivation, I leave myself sticky-notes. Sounds corny, but it works!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is hard because off all three things. I get that craving and then want to eat all the meat that I can eat. I already don't eat red meat as it is. I just now have to get rid of chicken, turkey, and fish. I am very new to vegetarianism. I only went vegetarian 2 days ago. Peer pressure is outrageous, because everybody says we are meant to be carnivores, but in reality, we are biologically herbivores.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ahh, not being in charge of the shopping and cooking would make it much more difficult.

However if one of my kids turned veggie when I was an omni I would have been open to buying things they wanted/needed to do so. Talk to your mom and see if she will help you.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Welcome, Steve! It can be difficult if you're still living at home with your family. We have many teen vegetarians here who manage, so hopefully they will be able to give you some pointers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.