VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I going to trying going vegetarian not because I hate the eating meat I am doing it because I want to see if my strength numbers will go up IE will I get stronger if I eat a vegetarian diet I'm still going to be eating omega-3 fatty acid oils and that is it from the meat side.All my meat is in the freezer.
When I was very young I went snowboarding in New Zealand and my snowboarding instructor was a vegan and this guy was ripped he was also kick boxer.
later on met a skiing instructor who was in his 56 that this guy was Jack and was a vegan as well. I googled vegans and was something called calisthenics vegans and these guys were muscular as well. so the only real people that I've ever met that have been healthy even into their 50s were vegans and vegetarians. so it has sort of shattered my beliefs of what vegans and vegetarians should be.
okay so I can currently do 3 muscle ups and I want to see if I can get higher numbers that is my goal for this diet.
my diet is mainly going to consist of avocados coconut oil olive oil and a load of vegetables and fruit.
I will be trying this for one month 30 days to see how I feel if I don't get a considerable mental clarity or physical prowess I am switching back to meat.
I NOT GOING TO EAT GAINS

if you know anyone who is trying the same could you send me a link thanks

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Hi taoofmojo, I hope you'll find vegetarianism to work well for you. Many of us have found ourselves feeling great after switching.

Just so you know, there ARE vegetarian sources of omega-3s. Flaxseeds and walnuts come to mind. If you're not eating grains, that's fine. Will you be eating beans, nuts and seeds? Just curious.

Also, you said avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, and veg/fruit. That's great, but I hope the vast majority of your diet is the fruits and veggies. A really high fat diet probably won't make you feel very good.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
First, welcome to VB.

Second, I wish you well in your experiement. But might I suggest that you give veganism a more fair trial than what you're doing? For example, I'm sure you don't consider all omni diets to be the same. I'm sure you have preferences in regards to what kinds of meats you feel are healthiest as well as how they should be prepared. So please do the same for veganism. The experiement you've described ("my diet is mainly going to consist of avocados coconut oil olive oil and a load of vegetables and fruit") is quite possibly an ideal diet for a very active person but you should know that this type of diet is just one of many many many kinds of vegan diets. It's possible that you'd be better suited for a diet that consists of more legumes and less fat. But if you never try that, you won't know for sure.

I'm just saying that 30 days on a high raw, high fat, low protein vegan diet may not be a fair trial of veganism in general. Consider how long you've been an omni and pit that against 30 days. Does that seem fair either? Just do your research and learn about other options. You might find reasons for choosing veg, too, other than "getting ripped" that appeal to you. For example, the animals or the environment. If you see no change in your health either good or bad, would it be fair to make animals suffer just because not eating them didn't get you totally ripped? Just saying.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Brendan Braziers Thrive diet.
http://myvega.com/team-vega/brendan-brazier/biography

You can check his books on Amazon:
http://myvega.com/team-vega/brendan-brazier/biography
They've got that "look inside" feature.

And of course:
http://www.veganhealth.org/

I'm not as much in it for health as much as I see being vegan the best way to live in todays culture. I simply view being an omnivore as something that helped helped humans evolve in all kinds of enviroments. In most of the developed world we have better choices than to enslave, breed, and murder other animals. I say murder because it means to kill without neccessity in my book.

As ElaineV already pointed out, there is so many different ways of eating for vegans. From simple comfort foods, low fat, raw, ethnic, gourmet, whole foods, processed junk. Keep reading and coming here-you'll be great!

Oh yeah-http://www.pcrm.org/

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Watch out! Trying it for 30 days was how I ended up here.....(Though, I still consider myself a 'transitioning lacto-ovo vegetarian')

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=783

This helped me when I was looking at what I wanted to do. That, and meal plans.

You mention no grains, but grains are considered seperate from legumes/beans. So do look into lentils, chickpeas and soy based products for your protein. I'm not 100% but don't bypass your 'fake' vegan meats, that may well not have grains in them. I know one type that's made completely out of mushrooms.

As for giving it only 30 days, as Elaine points out, it's not really a 'fair' trial.

For a start, you're rewiring your body and seemingly going at it pretty hardcore. Your body will probably react to that change and probably not in a good way to begin with.

So, first, there's getting rid of the meat. Meat takes, on average, 2-3 days to digest.
Then the dairy detox, if you get any symptoms I know some who didn't, that's at least 2-3 days of feeling foggy, like you've got a headcold and the dreams are trippy (I'm just trying out soy milk instead of regular right now and I have to say, it's a bit of a wild ride)

Then it's finding the right rhythm of eating for your body. I have low blood sugar because my body churns through energy quite quickly. I also have a high stress occupation. Going vego didn't stop my energy levels and I feel on some levels, has made it easier for me to perform. But I wasn't giving everything up at once the way you are.

So, don't completely dismiss it at first. Also, you might want to look into 'The China Study' I've heard it deals with health issues surrounding consuming animal products. It doesn't concern me so much, but it apparently raises some good points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey! I lived in NZ for about 7 years!! Beautiful there, eh?
How's it going with your diet?

I've been a veggie for 15 years- I can vouch for the health benefits. I'm sure you'll see a difference too.

Anyway, best of luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts