VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just starin to become a veg, and i was wondering if its true that vegetarians and vegans have to take vitamins and pills to get all the missing proteins and stuff that are on the meat? eggs, and milk?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
False. A well balanced veg*n diet doesn't require supplements.

Here's another one.

angelluzita is a good speller: True or false?

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's not true at all. B12 is the big issue, but it's available in some fortified foods if you don't want to take supplements.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
If you're planning to become vegan, I would really recommend taking a (vegan) B12 supplement. These B12 vitamins are produced by bacteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

Here's another one.

angelluzita is a good speller: True of false?
She lives in Venezuela. (Check out the location underneath the avatar.) I don't think she's a native English speaker, so let's cut her some slack. In any case I don't have any trouble whatsoever understanding what she writes.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Supplements in pill form are not necessary for any diet if fortified foods are available to you.

The main one for vegans is vitamin B12, which is bateria based and cannot be found in modern plant sources. All other nutrients can be obtained strictly through plant sources without the need for consuming fortified foods if that's what you prefer. (It's just easier to eat fortified foods.)

Consider this, cow's milk in the grocery stores is generally fortified with vitamin D because even omnivores aren't getting enough vitamin D from other foods or from exposure to sunlight. Many commercial orange juices are fortified with calcium for a similar reason. Breakfast cereals are often fortified with all kinds of nutrients because many Americans need that, regardless of whether or not they eat meat eggs and dairy. They could get all their nutrients without eating fortified foods, but it's just easier to eat the fortified foods.

If you become vegetarian or vegan you can obtain all your nutrients from food if you like. For nutrients that may be somewhat difficult to obtain on a vegan diet you can eat fortified foods. Many commercial soy milks almond milks and rice milks have been fortified with B12 and many are also fortified with extra other nutrients like vitamin D, calcium, iron, etc. Or if you want to take a pill you can do that too. It's just up to you.

It's a good idea to read up on the basics of vegetarian and vegan nutrition. This way you can protect your health and also so you can inform others who are curious.
http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=1448
http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp
http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans
http://veganhealth.org/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

False. A well balanced veg*n diet doesn't require supplements.

Here's another one.

angelluzita is a good speller: True of false?
hahahaha yeah as indian summer notest, im from venezuela, we speak spanish here, but feel free to correct me if i mess up xD, im also a really bad speller in spanish xD always confused the b with the v and so on xD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well that was really interesting to read elainev =), im gonna check out the links, by the way i went to the nutritionist today and she wasent suportive at all, i only went so that she could guide me on the foods, and she was like, eat chicken, for beaksfast, and meat and fish at launch and so on... i was like wtf???? didnt she heard i was going vegetarian? hhahaa well a waisted morning, she also said that yes it was true to get other suplements for proteins and iron, but that in the long time none of those could make the process that happend when we eat meat for the aminos (25 aminos in the body) and it a couple of years it would hurt my health =S.. what do you think of that?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelluzita View Post

well that was really interesting to read elainev =), im gonna check out the links, by the way i went to the nutritionist today and she wasent suportive at all, i only went so that she could guide me on the foods, and she was like, eat chicken, for beaksfast, and meat and fish at launch and so on... i was like wtf???? didnt she heard i was going vegetarian? hhahaa well a waisted morning, she also said that yes it was true to get other suplements for proteins and iron, but that in the long time none of those could make the process that happend when we eat meat for the aminos (25 aminos in the body) and it a couple of years it would hurt my health =S.. what do you think of that?
I don't think she knows quite what she's talking about - no offense to her as she's probably basing her opinion on what she was taught in school, which just happened to be very outdated (nearly ancient) nutrition science. Unfortunately, there are some parts of the world where nutrition science is not yet quite as developed. I still think it was good of you to talk to the nutritionist, because it's always good to get the opinions of many people.

You only have to look at the many healthy people who are vegetarian today (like myself - I'm a vegan!) to see that she's wrong. In India alone there are at least 2 hundred million lacto-vegetarians.

As for amino acids, there are only 9 or so essential ones which your body will convert into non-essential amino acids and proteins. All essential amino acids can be found in vegan food. You'll be absolutely fine w.r.t. protein/amino acids as long as you eat at least one meal with legumes per day (beans / lentils / chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans) / peanuts / or products made from these foods), and otherwise eat a "normal" diet including rice / pasta / bread / other grains, and of course vegetables.

If you're going to rely on fortified foods for B12, make sure foods are actually fortified in your country. In Europe foods didn't use to be fortified very much, whereas in the US/Canada they seem to do it quite a lot. If a food has been fortified with B12, it should say in the ingredients list. If you can't find any vegan B12 supplements or B12-fortified foods, then e.g. cows milk will also provide it. (That will make you a lacto-vegetarian then, like the Indians.) I think about 2dl of cows milk per day is enough.

Edited to add: If you want to look for support from vegetarians closer to you who know more about the specific issues relevant to vegetarians in Venezuela / Latin America, check out e.g. the website of the IVU (International Vegetarian Union)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was lacking in more nutrients when I was an omni than I am now. I do take b12 b/c I am consuming almost no dairy these days. I took it when I was omni as well b/c I have a shortage back then too. But, overall, my nutritional needs are being met far more now than when I was omni.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks!! ill do that! the only ones that i really dont like are the peanuts and all its family..
i still think i cant quit on milk, its like one of my favorates drinks, but i havent try out the soy, rice or almond so we'll see.

another true or false =)..

is it true that at the beggining of the diet change (becomeing vegs) we get a little fat?

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
When I first went veg I lost a good bit of weight- after learning how to prepare foods in ways I'd never thought of- and baking vegan-I gained most back!

I love the accent in your writing! Welcome!

I suggest a good multivitamin, maybe even a protein supplement, at least in the beginning. This is what I take:
http://www.amazon.com/Deva-Vegan-Mul...5014118&sr=8-2

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I gained a little bit when I switched, but that was because of my own poor choices and not a generalization of the vegetarian diet. I replaced meat with a lot of cheese and chips and fried things to get that full satisfied feeling. I've since learned how to cook more healthy and snack less, so I'm back to a good weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts