VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been vegetarian about 2.5 years and satisfied with my weight. On the heavy side but OK. I didn't change the way I eat, but in the last year they increased my dose of a medicine(Lithium) that people gain weight on. I can't change the medicine because it is working so well for me. My metabolism is also apparently slowing down over 30.

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is something that runs in our family. It's not diabetes, but just something we get. Lithum can also increase hypoglycemia a bit. So rather than having 3 large meals with nothing inbetween, we have to snack inbetween with what should be smaller meals.

Vegetarian foods seem to run thru the stomach quickly leaving one hungry. I don't mind being hungry in itself, but when I get hungry I tend to get hypoglycemia resulting in low alertness and energy. Often snacking on high calorie foods prevents the hypoglycemia, but not good for weight. I know that fiber is good for slowing down the digestive process, but I'm getting plenty of fiber. Believe me.

I'm getting plenty of exercise so that's not an issue. Any ideas on how to fill up the stomach but not have it go hungry so quickly? If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Are you eating enough protein and good fats? A proper combo of protein, carbohydrates and fats at meals and snacks should satisfy your appetite.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim923 View Post

I've been vegetarian about 2.5 years and satisfied with my weight. On the heavy side but OK. I didn't change the way I eat, but in the last year they increased my dose of a medicine(Lithium) that people gain weight on. I can't change the medicine because it is working so well for me. My metabolism is also apparently slowing down over 30.

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is something that runs in our family. It's not diabetes, but just something we get. Lithum can also increase hypoglycemia a bit. So rather than having 3 large meals with nothing inbetween, we have to snack inbetween with what should be smaller meals.

Vegetarian foods seem to run thru the stomach quickly leaving one hungry. I don't mind being hungry in itself, but when I get hungry I tend to get hypoglycemia resulting in low alertness and energy. Often snacking on high calorie foods prevents the hypoglycemia, but not good for weight. I know that fiber is good for slowing down the digestive process, but I'm getting plenty of fiber. Believe me.

I'm getting plenty of exercise so that's not an issue. Any ideas on how to fill up the stomach but not have it go hungry so quickly? If anyone has any ideas that would be great.
Higher protein and fiber contents in your food will help. And what ever you do, try and live transfat free. That's the real culprit to your weight problem. Trust me. Read all of what you can on transfats. They are poison to the body. I bet if you removed them from your diet you'd see an improvement in your blood sugar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

Are you eating enough protein and good fats? A proper combo of protein, carbohydrates and fats at meals and snacks should satisfy your appetite.
Someone suggested I get more oil in my diet containing the essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6. This might fill me up more. I had been taking about 1 or 2 servings of flax oil a day (in morning or morning and night). Could I take more to avoid hunger?

I do get other fat from granola (organic), bananas, and soymilk. I do drink lots of water.

Most of my protein comes from soy products as I'm avoiding dairy because I may have sensitivity. And the rest comes from beans, nuts, grains, and eggs. I think I go over my required min 80 or 90 grams a bit (I'm a bit over 100kg).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have hypoglycemia as well. I would recommend two things that might help.

1) Between meals, drink beverages that are low in calories but will maintain your blood sugar levels. Water, while great, won't do this. You may need to "snack" on light (reduced calorie) fruit juices or even diet pop (caffeine triggers a sugar-like response in your blood stream). Whatever calories you drink will need to be offset by reducing those in the rest of your diet, though.

2) Exercise. Yep, I wish it was more exciting than that, but it isn't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know snacking on fruit juice and soda does the trick better than anything else, but they are high in calories. A few months ago, I tried to quit these "sugar pick-me ups" but had bad hypoglycemia during driving and I can't have that. I need to be at 100% for that.

Now is a low-calorie juice or soda different than just adding water to them? You may have a point with the caffeine. I've never been a coffee drinker and don't get much caffeine, except for occasional cola.

I get plenty of exercise.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would try to have one of the more concentrated vegetarian protein options for each of your mini-meals. Your soy products will get you started. Also think about a chickpea salad (chop them up and add veganaise, onion, celery, etc.), some nuts (my grandma is hypoglycemic and always carries peanuts in her purse in case she starts feeling funny), a hardboiled egg, vegetarian chili, Indian bean recipes, refried beans, etc. My grocery also carries small soy yogurts that might be good to try. Have these with whole grains, and hopefully it will help.

I've never heard of having fruit/light sodas to control hypoglycemia. My doctor recommended protein snacks instead and to really limit the sugars (real and fake). Staying away from them limits the quick crash. And listen to your body - when it says one cookie is enough, stop and have something else instead!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Lithium is famous for weight gain.

I'm sorry you are dealing with a side effect like this from a drug that is obviously helping you.

I would echo what the others said, and definitely give up all refined carbs in favor of whole grains. Plus, exercise. I've found that as I get older, I cannot control my weight with diet alone - I must exercise or I gain, gain, gain.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cftwo View Post

I've never heard of having fruit/light sodas to control hypoglycemia. My doctor recommended protein snacks instead and to really limit the sugars (real and fake). Staying away from them limits the quick crash.
agreed. you should NOT be having sugary snacks like juice for a snack (if ever). you should avoid refined sugars as much as possible. and the good sugars that you do have should be balanced by some protein. and you should be snacking. you should be eating small meals every four hours or so.

snacks should be things like: a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts. or whole wheat bread and hummus. or a small bowl of cereal with soymilk (make sure your cereal doesn't have HFCS tho). i also like to make homemade quick breads like banana or zucchini bread made with whole wheat flour. a hearty slice of this makes an excellent snack.

all of your meals should have protein in them. eat small meals every few hours. avoid refined sugars: cookies, ice cream, candy etc are all no-nos for hypoglycemia.

the same goes for caffeine. if you have really bad sugar problems caffeine is not good for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.