VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I am a lone vegan, let alone vegetarian in my ENTIRE FAMILY. I don't even think my family (aside from parents and siblings, 1 aunt, and 1 uncle) know what a vegan is. And if I'm lucky, I'll get some salads with LOTS of iceberg lettuce (oh.. yum...
) and some pickles, maybe pickled okra at their places. They are such hardcore meat eaters, and I'm sure they don't eat much outside potatoes, iceberg lettuce, tomatos, onions, and pickled veggies.

This summer we may just be visiting all my family in TX. I'm not sure when, but I'd like to plan early, or just have this for future reference.

What can I bring that won't perish quickly? I am almost positive I will be the only vegan present in the whole town, Kingsville. This is South Texas here- fishing, barbecues....menudo..

Any advice?

·
Registered
184 Posts
We do have grocery stores here in Texas, you know....

Bring granola bars, nuts, luna bars, individual soymilks, etc. Then when you get here, just go to a grocery store and get veggie burgers or something so when you have a cookout, you can join in. Almost every big grocery store has a fairly good selection of veg*n foods, so you should be okay. You can also bring (or buy) cans of beans, soup, meatless spaghetti sauce, pasta, veggies/fruits, have PBJ sandwiches, etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could alway make up batches of food and freeze it like vegan meetballs, falafel, etc. Then when they make spaghetti, throw some vegan meetballs in the microwave and thaw. Buy some pitas and use the lettuce and tomatoes in the sandwich. Bring some Nutritional Yeast and make cheese sauces up to put on maceroni. Shannon

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have been to Kingsville MANY times, and it is going to be tough. They have a Sbway there, and the usual fast foods. They do have an H-E-B grocery store, which is usually a good chain. I would call down there and find out what they have - don't expect too much. Here is their site:

http://www.heb.com/welcome/index.jsp

If you are driving, and passing through San Antonio (abour 3 hours north of Kingsville) you will have several choices and could stock up here. There is Whole Foods and The H-E-B Central Market (which is amazing).

http://centralmarket.com/cm/index.jsp

Once you get out of San Antonio, it is small - SMALL towns from here to Kingsville. Nothing much to see, and nothing to eat but DQ (this is DQ country). You need to be prepared.

Kingsville will be very difficult. I doubt there is an oriental restaurant there. Most will be fast food chains and Mexican. Be careful at the Mexican restaurants in the valley (that's where Kingsville is - "the valley"). They will probably use lard in the tortillas and bacon fat in the beans.

I don't know what else to tell you. There isn't much there that is going to work for you. I would highly recommend that you take a large cooler and stop at the Central Market in San Antonio. It is only a few minutes off of the interstate, and will be well worth the stop. If you need, I can give you driving directions. Good Luck.

·
Registered
811 Posts
BTW, don't count on the H-E-B in Kingsville to carry ANY organic produce or vegan foods. It is the only grocery store there, and not as progressive as the ones here in SA. PLEASE call them, and ask them specific questions. It would surprise me if you could find a Boca Burger there, honestly. You will be able to find good citrus and nuts in the area. Not too much on which to live, I am afraid. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Houston... the major cities in Texas.... are all pretty veg*n friendly, so just stock up whenever you're going through one. I don't know which way you'll be driving through, but I know of a few good restaurants in Houston, and I live in Austin, so I can give you addresses and names of good restaurants and grocery stores if you'll be passing through here. In general, the eastern part of Texas is much better about things like vegetarianism, so driving through there won't be much of a problem. Pretty much any good sized town will have a grocery store (H-E-B is good, and so are most Randalls) that you can at least get some boca burgers and produce. But definatly don't wait till you get to Kingsville, that's not a good place to be stuck as a hungry vegan.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Wal-Mart Super Stores carry veggie burgers, etc in their frozen foods. Bush Beans puts out a veggitarian baked bean. Wal-Mart sells tofu, canned beans in water based sauce. Green veggies and canned veggies can be found in most grocery stores. Everything else is rather primative in OKlahoma and Texas in the smaller towns. BE PREPARED.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Minmo

We do have grocery stores here in Texas, you know....

I have been there, you know...

Seeing as my whole extended family is there.. and I was born there, and lived there as a kid. But you probably don't live in Kingsville.

Equipro, you rule! I believe they do have oriental restaurants.. At least one I can think of. I know my way around there pretty well, but I haven't been there in about 2 years.. maybe more. It's kinda sad that it's been that long since I have seen my family... But I digress. I would love directions to the Central Market.. I just hope my Dad would be willing to make the detour.

I do know they have a Taco bell walking distance from my Grandma's. But ech, I don't want to live on bean burritos for the duration of my trip...

Pesky Mexican restaurants.. Lard in EVERYTHING.. heh. It's the same in Arizona. Any authentic restaurant makes it that way. Which, most of them in South Texas are. I'll open a vegan restaurant someday.. It will be MY way. heh.

The normal route we take is through El Paso, then the LOOONG stretch of road to San Antonio... From there we see small towns, then finally reach Kingsville. Which, as I mentioned before, is in the South part (the very tip almost...). I almost wish my family lived in the larger cities. But chances are we will end up making a trip to San Antonio sometime during our stay.

Thanks everyone for the awesome tips! If I just went with hopes of finding things (my mom, probably, would think I could find stuff to eat) I'd end up extremely weak, and stuck with what I mentioned above! These ideas are even helping me think of more...
Thanks again you guys!! I really appreciate it.

I can have a stash over there..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We're taking a two-day road trip to Utah this Thursday night. Here's the list of food we're taking along for the ride. Maybe it'll help!

trail mix (homemade- nuts, dried fruit, seeds)

pretzels

chips

bananas, apples & oranges (these don't need refridgeration for quite a while)

baby carrots (ditto on the refridgeration)

pb&j (making some sandwiches ahead of time)

cereal bars

granola bars

Luna bars (bars, bars, bars, in other words
)

fig bars

Have a good trip!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fafafrappy-I sympathize, My dad lives in McAllen, AKA hell for vegans. I just try to get him to take me to Asian or Indian rest's. I hate having to address the food issue at my dad's place, he is a big meat eater! At least in Austin, mexican is very doable for me here. Buena suerte!

·
Registered
811 Posts
It's really easy. the Whole Foods and Central Market are within 10 minutes of each other. You will need to get your Dad to take a little bit of a different road into San Antonio. Instead of taking I-10 all the way into downtown, have him take Loop 410 East (I-10 intersects 410). Take the airport exit off of Loop 410 E. Turn right on Airport Blvd (away from the airport) and AP Blvd joins 281S. (Yes - it is the same 281S that you take to 3 Rivers). To get to Whole Foods, exit Jones-Maltzberger (it's not a malt, it's not a burger, it's a Jones-Matlzberger!) and turn left. It will take you right into the Alamo Quary shopping center, and Whole Foods in on the back side of the shopping center (the best way to get there is to stay on J-M until you hit Basse, and turn right on Basse). When you are done, just jump back on 281 by way of Basse (J-M doesn't ramp onto 281S).

After the J-M exit stay on 281 South. The next exit is Hildebrand. Exit Hildebrand and turn left onto Hildebrand. Approx 1/2 mile to Broadway. Turn Left on Broadway. Central Market is about 2 blocks up on the left. Be sure that Valet Park your car. It is free, and such a treat when they bring the car back to your cash register.

If you need anymore help, let me know. It is good to know that there is a Chinese restaurant in Kingsville. We drive from San Antonio to South Padre Island several times per year, and always stop in Kingsville to gas up and get a snack. As I am now Vegan, I'll need to hunt around and see if I can find that restaurant.

If you need any more help, just ask!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, you guys have all been really helpful. I thought about lots of bars, but I wasn't sure how long I'd be happy with them. I'm a really fussy eater! But now that I look at the lists, it doesn't seem so bad at all!

See, if I cook there. I have an uncle and a grandma that would rather cook for me... I'd feel almost uncomfortable using their pots/pans. Perhaps at H-E-B (or the stores in San Antonio) I can find some microwavable things... Thank you for the directions, Equipro... I MUST convince my daddy to take me. I like thr valet idea... hehe. But that's probably because I'm lazy. *shrug*

Sindy- isn't it a shame that some extremely possible vegan foods aren't? Especially the delicious ones... Mmm. Refried beans! heh.. And tortillas.. (My mom makes the BEST homemade (and vegan)! Esp when they put sour cream in guacamole... That makes me angry.. It's the best without it. I typicially have these homemade, or go to mainstream Mexican restaurants- or more geared to health. There is a few here in Phoenix that I love.

Thanks again you guys! I shall save this information!

·
Banned
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Life2k

Wal-Mart Super Stores carry veggie burgers, etc in their frozen foods. Bush Beans puts out a veggitarian baked bean. Wal-Mart sells tofu, canned beans in water based sauce. Green veggies and canned veggies can be found in most grocery stores. Everything else is rather primative in OKlahoma and Texas in the smaller towns. BE PREPARED.
I would rather eat veal than shop at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Lemme tell ya, in small Texas towns, you shop at Wal-mart or you don't shop. You buy groceries at H-E-B and you buy everything else at Walmart. In a town like Kingsville, that's pretty much the choices....oh, and, of course.....Dairy Queen!

BTW, FaFaFrappy - tell your Dad that going the way that I told you is no longer in either time or distance than taking I-10 all the way in. AND there are so many amazing things for Omni's at Central Market that it has actually become a tourist attraction! Can you believe it!

·
Registered
152 Posts
equipro, lol...you're so right about having to shop at walmart here. what's even sadder, is that the small town i used to live in didn't even have a walmart, and to me getting a ride to one was such a wonderful escape from the usual. i was like "Wow, strange veggie stuff... on the shelves, right in the open, and cheap too?" It was Sad.

i hope you'll have a good trip fafafrappy. not sure if you want to meet another veg there, but when i did a search for any places veg-friendly all i came up with was a meatout event page that lists someone in kingsville. So maybe they could help you find stuff nearby if you emailed them.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Which small town was that???

Yea - like on the way to Kingsville, you have to go through 3 Rivers, George West, etc. DQ is it, man - they have to drive to Alice, which is smaller yet than Kingsville. At least when we get to South Padre Island, there is a few hippies on the island, and.....of course....H-E-B and WALLY WORLD!

·
Banned
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EquiPro

Lemme tell ya, in small Texas towns, you shop at Wal-mart or you don't shop. You buy groceries at H-E-B and you buy everything else at Walmart. In a town like Kingsville, that's pretty much the choices....oh, and, of course.....Dairy Queen!
You should try not shopping, moving somewhere else, get into explosives, or committing suicide. Nothing like living in a free country when your the only choice of obtaining goods is through a giant, corporate, souless Lord of the Land....

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't like the "malling" of America either, but I gotta tell you that it is nice to be in some of these towns and HAVE a choice. Before Wal-mart, you couldn't get so many things that you need (Last time I was at South Padre, I needed new suction cups for my radar detector - where did I go? Walmart!). Wal-Mart does offer a lot of things to a lot of people where there was nothing before. FaFaFrappy will probably benefit from Wal-mart being in Kingsville, without it, her choices would be very limited in deed. It is the Ying and Yang of life, eh?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree! Wal-Mart is the craziest, souless place... But it does offer what people need- and I like it! It's the only thing in Kingsville that would really be worth it.. Well, H-E-B for produce and stuff.

I can bet on going to Corpus at least a few times. I want to go to South Padre (South Party Island! hehehe. Now that I'm older I should hang out there...). *sigh* I love to go to the beaches there! The ones my uncle like to fish at (uuughhh) are soo full of jellyfish... But I have been to the beaches more suited for swimming...
is all I can say...

Oooh, I wanna find a hippy is South Texas! I know much more white people live in Corpus, so the probability is much higher... Not to sound prejudiced or anything, but not many hispanics tend to practicially LIVE on meat. My brother that lives there was like, "Man, you're hispanic, you're supposed to eat meat!" lol

Anywho... Wal-Mart is like, Kingsville's hangout. hehe. They do have a rather small mall, but I don't remember if most of that got shut down or not. We'll find out when I go back!

Quote:
Originally posted by kittay

i hope you'll have a good trip fafafrappy. not sure if you want to meet another veg there, but when i did a search for any places veg-friendly all i came up with was a meatout event page that lists someone in kingsville. So maybe they could help you find stuff nearby if you emailed them.
Thanks! And.. aww... that poor Kingsville veg. lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts