VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally tried tofu for the first time! I marinated it and put it in stir fry. I was pleasantly surprised with the results, but I'm not sure I am ready to cut a slice and eat it.
The tofu thread has great advice for newbies. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I meant was: I did try tofu for the first time today. I marinated it first and then put it in fried rice. However, I don't think I am ready to eat it alone.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeemedik View Post

What I meant was: I did try tofu for the first time today. I marinated it first and then put it in fried rice. However, I don't think I am ready to eat it alone.
Gotcha. I don't find tofu terribly exciting eaten alone. With a dipping sauce perhaps.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I just had well made, fresh ( I think) tofu in a Thai restaurant a couple of days ago, and it was soooo much better than the Nasoya brand in the store which is prevalent around here. Still not gaga over it, but the sauce it was in was excellent! the hubbs even tried it.

and silken was just used for a valentine's day dessert, which I LOVED!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:

I finally tried tofu for the first time! I marinated it and put it in stir fry. I was pleasantly surprised with the results, but I'm not sure I am ready to cut a slice and eat it.
It's nasty on it's own... when I at it without it being marinated I had to dip it into a sauce and eat it that way. Eating it on it's own might make you gag so be careful.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, tofu really isn't meant to be eaten plain anyway. It's more of a base for things, it absorbs whatever flavour you use with it. I wouldn't want to eat plain flour either but I sure love eating the things I bake with it

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Yeah, tofu really isn't meant to be eaten plain anyway. It's more of a base for things, it absorbs whatever flavour you use with it. I wouldn't want to eat plain flour either but I sure love eating the things I bake with it
I agree, it's like an ingredient or a base! Hardly anyone enjoys pasta or noodles without anything to go with them, right? Well, same for tofu!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been eating tofu for years, and still can't eat it alone. I need to have it mixed with different spices and herbs etc to like it.. In stir fry it's lovely, or on toast as an alternative to scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I just had well made, fresh ( I think) tofu in a Thai restaurant a couple of days ago, and it was soooo much better than the Nasoya brand in the store which is prevalent around here. Still not gaga over it, but the sauce it was in was excellent! the hubbs even tried it.

and silken was just used for a valentine's day dessert, which I LOVED!
Ha! We'll convert you into a tofu lover yet!

I think tofu is all about how you cook it - I certainly couldn't eat it raw or without spices - it's just totally tasteless.

Keep trying it now, PhotoJess, and you'll soon be giving us tofu recipes

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Like everyone has been saying, tofu is very bland when it doesn't have other flavors to soak up. A recipe I use uncooked tofu in is tofu eggless 'egg' salad. Extra firm tofu is mashed into small chunks and used in place of the eggs, then I add vegenaise, veggies (finely chopped radishes, carrots and celery usually), cumin (taste & color), tumeric (taste & color), salt and pepper. But I've also heard of tofu being eaten uncooked in a savory or sweet sauce.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Hmm..I've eaten it "raw" before but it was the flavored kind (Soyboy's Smoked Tofu and Silk Creations silkened tofu) it's pretty tasty right out of the package but I could never eat plain regular tofu without it being cooked or spiced up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live in a pretty rural area, so I don't have a lot of options, but I would love to try the flavored tofu. I am definately going to have it again. As I said, living in a rural area I don't have the option of ordering it when we eat out. Oh well...that's life I guess.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I eat it raw because I'm a masochist with no time to prepare food. If I'm studying or heading to work, i just cut off half a brick and eat it with water. Yes, I know, I'm gross, eh? :x

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
angie you're funny! Well everyone has said on here to go to a restaurant and have it made the "right" way to know what it's supposed to taste like. Very glad I did, but their tofu was much smoother and creamier than anything I've bought in the boxes at the store. Glad I did it. and I can totally see using the silken MUCH more frequently now! I don't have to be afraid of desserts tasting like beans!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I prefer my tofu tarted up, but eating it baked by itself is also quite acceptable to me. It might be bland that way, but the texture is still good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts