VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, i have a new trick!

see i get nasty sinus headaches. i sorta think they're migraines of some sort but haven't really seen a doc about it.

anyway so far the only thing that works is lots of ibuprofen, and an ice cold cloth over my eyes. but it still takes like 20 minutes to take effect.

well i picked up this pamphlet, it says to rub peppermint essential oil into the temples and the forehead and inhale it.

well i do happen to have peppermint oil. so i was sitting here reading this with a washcloth-wrapped ice cube on my forehead. i put a couple drops of peppermint on the cloth and boy does it burn but it works.

really, it made my skin burn but not really in a bad way, but within a couple minutes my headache was like gone. after my skin stopped tingling there was no irritation or anything, i think it might actually be good for the skin. so there you go. peppermint oil.

they also suggest oregano essential oil. there are a billion uses for oregano oil, they even say to mix a couple drops with your facial cleanser to help acne

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Sweet! I get sinus headaches all the time, and the only cure was tylenol and a nap. I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I did that once, and it helped. But unfortunately, it also made my skin rash out bad. Possibly I should have diluted the peppermint oil.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i used to use lavender oil like that too, i wonder whether it's effect is as strong as the peppermint. hmmn.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've heard that just sniffing peppermint oil will do the trick, so maybe try that if you get a reaction on your skin from it.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Essential oils usually need to be diluted before applying directly onto the skin, especially onto the face.

Peppermint encourages microcirculation, so it certainly makes sense that this would work...great thinking!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've heard that just eating a peppermint candy or something would do it, but I like the oil idea better...my problem is that I get headaches from too much sugar, and if I have a piece of candy, then I get twice the headache I started out with

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've heard that holding your earlobes will stop a headache. One of those accu-pressure things.

I read something where when you always take ibuprofen for a headache, you'll always need ibuprofen. Something about you get headaches more often because your body wants the ibuprofen--or something. I guess it amounts to an addiction. I've been looking furiously for the article, when I find it, I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Oh, I forgot. I heard that caffeine and alcohol can trigger migranes. I guess chocolate would be in there too, since it has caffeine. I knew someone with terrible migranes, and her doctor told her to quit those things, and she hardly ever gets them now.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The trick with peppermint candy would not work if it was artficially flavored. It's got to be REAL peppermint!

·
Registered
236 Posts
There is a wad of muscle between the base of your index finger and thumb.

You can massage it (hard) for about 20 seconds wait a few then repeat about 3 times.

This seems to work for me for most headaches.

I have heard, but not tried, that the scent of sour apple when deeply enhaled can stop migranes.....as long as you like the smell.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The trick with peppermint oil has been checked scientifically: peppermint oil on the temples is as effecteive as 500 mg paracetamol.

Tiger balm oil or ointment is also effective and saves the use of a potential harmful drug. Though I wouldn´t tell anyone to stay away from a tablet of paracetamol or ibuprofen at a time he/she is suffering from a splitting headache.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've used peppermint EO for my headaches many, many times. I just inhale it (a few drops on a tissue). Essential Oils should never, ever be applied directly to the skin. It could trigger an allergic reaction OR you could sensitze yourself to it...meaning that it would stop working/helping you because your skin got so used to it. I've known people who have sensitized themselves to oils even after just a few applications. I really recommend the inhalation method!
Also using the EO in a diffuser (diffuses the scent into the air) is really helpful as well.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i tried it in a burner before to try to clear my sinus congestion, along with some eucalyptus. it worked relatively well but i find it works faster and better if i inhale it directly from the bottle instead of diluted in a burner. the stronger the better when it comes to my headaches.

the accupressure thing between the finger and thumb, i find works only for tension or eyestrain headaches, not for sinus. sinus headaches are a symptom of another problem, peppermint helps clear congestion so helps the cause not the symptom.

but yeah i wouldn't really recommend people put pepperming oil right on their skin, cause when i did it my skin burned for a good while. no rash or anything, but i don't have sensitive skin, i can just imagine what it would do if i did. heck when i worked in a restaurant i'd put my hand into a sink full of harsh cleansers and use a cloth dunked in degreaser without wearing gloves, everyone thought i was nuts. maybe i am

another thing that might work is that Alpine gum, the stuff they say is for cough relief. i use it when i have a cold rather than take meds, it really does clear things up if you can stand the taste long enough. very strong

1 - 17 of 17 Posts