VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI EVERYONE. TODAY IS FIRST DAY OF TRIAL FOR MYSELF & HUSBAND. BOTH DECIDED TO GO VEGETARIAN (MAYBE VEGAN EVENTUALLY!). I HAD BEEN VEGETARIAN GROWING UP AND HAVE CONSUMED MEAT FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS NOW. I LOVE VEGGIES, HUSBAND HAS SMALLER LIST OF FOODS HE LIKES.
BUT WE AGREE THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO. HE AGREED TO A MONTH TRIAL. I WANT TO SHOW HIM YUMMY FOODS, BUT I ONLY HAVE SO MUCH TIME FOR THE KITCHEN. ANY BODY HAVE HINTS, FAVORITE RECIPES ETC. THEY CAN SHARE TO BOOST US INTO THIS??? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! -- TRISH

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good for you!
I think that after a month you'll feel so great about this that you'll never look back.

For ideas, check out the "what did you eat today" thread in the food and recipes forum.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
TDFISLER

I hope your husband has the courage and commitment that you

appear to have and that you finish four weeks broadly speaking as veggies!!!

sINCERE bEST wISHES...FertiVegork.

(I'm vegan if you care to know.... and go the full way as evidently I did).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks again to all for the responses and encouragement! I am happy to say I just finished our first veggie dinner. It was not too terribly creative, but I don't want to shock him! So, I made a pizza with fresh veggies and put what I like on my side and what he likes on his. Tried to go vegan, but couldn't find veganrella. I can see I will need to explore some markets for new ingredients! We were both pleased, and found this to be a nice dinner to start with. This should be interesting!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi TDFISLER, this is my recipe for pizza. It is really good and doesn't need any cheese

Vegan pizza

1 tsp yeast

3/4 cup warm water

1/2tsp sweetener

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (plus extra)

1/2 tsp salt

Mix the first three ingredients together. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.

Then add the flour and salt. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or so addign flour as needed to keep the dough from beign stciky.

put in a covered bowl with a drop of oil and let stand until it doubles in size (if it's over a vented burner, it won't be too long).

Once it has risen, roll into a flat circle.

Pizza sauce

1 can tomato paste

2 cloves of garlic

1/2 T oregano

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp basil

spread sauce over the pizza crust and add desired toppings. Then bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the crust is browned and the toppings are cooked.

If you want to make it the way I do, prepare some TVP then then mix in a little bit of the sauce for flavour, cover the sauce layer with that and then add chopped onion, red pepper, pineapple and finally sliced roma tomatos. Drizzle the pizza with olive oil and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
good luck, and congratulations. I am new also this month, and have found this board, and the people on it quite helpful and informative.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 3 of the wonderful world of vegetarianism is almost over. I am soooo oh happy with how they have gone and most importantly how I feel. You guys are great, thanks for the support! And triumvir that recipe is appreciated. I will make it and let you know how it goes!

Okay, I hope others will be able to relate to what I say next: I also find that when I am more conscious of my food consumption as I have been the last few days, I am also more conscious of and in better control of other areas that require some self discipline. Naturally. Not to mention I feel a surge in energy that enables me to perform physically and mentally on a level that is superior. Would you agree? Did you find this to hold true and/or is this a temporary effect that will level off more as days go on? It has been soooo long since I was all vegetarian, I ask myself, "Self, did I feel this good before and let it slip away? Or is this just an adrenaline-type high?" Self doesn't know the answer. Tell me what you experienced and what you think.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Hi TDFISLER, Welcome to VB

I can absolutely relate to the consiousness about food.

Now I'm vegan I read all the labels and match the list in different languages. (there is a difference sometimes)

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I would agree with that. Some of it may be a feeling of superiority but I think a lot of it stems from having control over what you eat - control over your urges. It's no different than being on a successful diet, if you stay strong you certainly have the right to be proud of yourself!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts