VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you allow yourself to eat treats, such as cookies, muffins, poptarts, candies, ect.? Lately I've been letting myself have about one treat type food a day; today I ate a serving of vanilla wafer cookies. Will one treat per day be detrimental to my health? Should I cut back? I feel guilty about it, but little things like one poptart, a handfull of mike and ikes..they just keep slipping what used to the the iron border!! Where'd my willpower go? lol.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I allow myself to have a treat almost every day. I have found that if I let myself eat a mini twix bar, get a coffee beverage from panera or eat a cookie, I am less likely to binge on stuff. Usually I binge after a long period of denying myself the "forbidden" foods. Something about knowing that they are forbidden makes me more likely to consume mass quanities of them. So when I eat a little bit each day, it seems to make me happy. However all bets are off when I am under extreme stress.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yummy blue berry brownies? they sound good. I eat treats almost everyday, especially if homemade. Once you start "treating "yourself its tough to stop. But if you make good choices - whats the harm?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Once a day at least. LIke kraftykraft said, if I deny myself treats, I'll binge later on in the day.

Everything is okay in moderation. Isn't that what Krista always says?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have to have treats every single day!!! Yesterday was 1/4 tub of cool whip ate like ice cream
. The day before was one serving of rich ice cream (I crave frozen sweets recently). Today will probably be fruity popcicles I made in Dixie cups.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Lately I have been eating a pint of soy delicious (fruit sweetened) every single night. It's become a habit to sit up late and watch the old reruns of Felicity while I savor my treat.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I suppose I have two to three "treats" a day. However, I try to look at them as healthy. There was iron and isoflavones in my Soy Delicious this evening. The chocolate covered cherries *do* contain cherries.. That's a fruit serving, not a treat!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Come on, enjoy food! Eat those treats! I eat treats everyday. Sometimes I'll even grab a handful of choc chips (vegan of course) to satisfy a craving. Charity, I am with you on the Soy Delicious, it is organic and I actually checked the nutritional values on it, not too bad for something so good! Although, maybe the crushed up cookies in it didn't help my girlish figure ( joking...I eat food to enjoy it!) .

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Don't pop-tarts contain gelatin? At least they do in the UK. I eat chocolate and other treats almost daily. 810 calories worth of chooclate is a five minute snack to me! I love chocolate, and letely, I've been loving ice cream, even though i usually hate it, due to sensitive teeth. (Hot weather)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
making healthy food choices is an excellent way to care for yourself physically and emotionally! along with exercise and an active mind! but caring for yourself also means doing nice things for yourself that are indulgent, sometimes, too!

it is one thing to eat "unhealthy" things (and i put that in quotes because it's a relative thing) to be kind and self-indulgent, and it's another thing entirely to binge blindly or anesthetize oneself with food. as long as you are concious of your food, and savouring every drop, i cannot see the harm in enjoying it.

i don't do "treats" every day, but almost every time i find myself in the grocery store (2 or 3 times a week), i find a little something to indulge myself with. this week i bought myself mangos because they were beautifully ripe and ridiculously cheap for once. last week, it was a bag of BBQ flavour corn chips. and so on.

so be good to yourselves and eat mindfully and for pleasure.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"The chocolate covered cherries *do* contain cherries.. That's a fruit serving, not a treat! "

Heheh

Well if I go grocery shopping I sometimes get a box of 8 tofutti cuties and a bag of these organic yellow corn puffs (mmmmm). I tend to eat the cornpuffs right when I get home (hehe ... they are mostly air anyway ... maybe I'll get 2 bags next time
). the 8 tofutti cuties last 2 days (4 at a time .. LOL) but after that, I'm generally out of treats for the week.

I sometimes get a 2 Litre container of chocolate soy drink and it's so good it is possible I can drink that all in the same day (more like I have to stop myself from drinking it all if I want some for the next day) I bring my weekly groceries home. I consider that a treat-like thing

I had been buying these organic blue corn chips and salsa but havent had that in a while now.

I eat oranges, apples, chinese pears, bosch pears, nuts, toast and jam (etc) as treats all through the week.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
poptarts have gelatin if they're the frosted ones. they also have all kinds of chemical flavors, preservatives and coloring...

no thank you

there are actually some all natural kinds in the HFS

·
Registered
0 Posts
The all natural ones taste like caca in my opinion
The whole point of treats IS to have chemical flavours, preservatives and colouring. That's why they taste so good

Unfrosted poptarts are vegan (at least, most of them). Everyone thinks the fruit filling is the problem, but it's the frosting that is.

Rainbowmoon, sheesh, eat the treat. It's better to eat a small treat a day coating 200 calories, then to deny yourself for 3 days and eat 1000 calories worth in a binge.

Everything in Moderation!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
once you pop you just can't stop.. I can't. I open a bag of chips and their gone. Cookies, gone. Gone gone.

So, nowadays when i go grocery shopping I buy the snack packs of cookies and chips. It's more expensive that way, and it's probably worse on the environment (all those little plastic bags, individually wrapped servings), but it's the only way for me to control how much I eat.... grrr... Anyways, yeah. I am a cookie-aholic.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I make nearly all of our "treats" from scratch...and so my lazyness stops us from eating too many.

I have found that I can eat a small piece of something now and let the rest sit in my cupboard for days or weeks. So, I just don't crave sweets like I once did. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I eat treats every day. And I relish them. Vegan chocolate, soy ice cream and sorbet, really good fruits (strawberries and pineapple are amoung my favorite treats). I'm thinking of buying cantaloupe seeds and attempting to grow them so I can have fresh cantaloupe this summer. I eat smallish muffins when I have an opportunity...and occasionally I enjoy having something sinful for breakfast.

I'm with mushroom, my sil made cupcakes (icing free) for my birthday and while Madison and I each had one for breakfast last week, and another one each for an after dinner treat one day, the other two sat in my fridge for the rest of this past week...and I completely forgot they were there.

B

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Oh, but if you're feeling guilty about it and obsessing over treats....hmmmmmmm. Don't keep them in the house.

I had to do this at first. I never kept treats in the house. But every day on my lunch at work I would go get a treat and enjoy it, knowing that it was my 'treat' for the day. I would go for a jog, and then stop at starbucks for a tiny bit of dark chocolate and a soy latte. But the treats weren't at home...so I didn't have to worry about doing anything terrible while I was in a precarious emtotional state (my husband had left just months before that).

It depends on how you're using food rainbowmoon. If you're abusing food, as in using something outside to make you feel better on the inside...then I suggest doing what I did at first. Out of site, out of mind. But if/when you're ready to really enjoy food--which as we discussed in eat to live, you clearly aren't right now--and have a healthy relationship with it, you'll have no problem keeping treats around and getting them out when you just want something tasty.

Baby steps.

B

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"I eat treats every day. And I relish them."

EWWW! Putting relish on a chocolate chip cookie is not my idea of a treat ... hehehe ...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.