VeggieBoards banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have a friend with sinus problems who took Beconase for years.

He's now going blind from a type of glaucoma.

I have pages on Beconase etc from the web.

"In the March 5, 1997 issue of the Joumal of the American Medical Association, Dr. Edeltraut Garbe and co-workers described the results of their study to evaluate the risk of glaucoma in patients using inhaled steroid medications. In light of the widespread and long-term usage of these medications, their results are nothing short of alarming. They found that ongoing usage of high doses of inhaled steroids for three months or more increased the risk of glaucoma by an astounding 44%.

In addition to this increased risk for glaucoma, the likelihood of cataract formation is also profoundly enhanced in patients using inhaled steroid medications. In a large, wellconducted study appearing in the July 3, 1997 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, Australian researchers reported a 300% increase in incidence of cataracts in users of inhaled steroids.

These studies were published in the two most widely read and highly respected medical journals in America. Yet, despite the fact that a large segment health care practitioners have seen and are likely aware of this information, the use of inhaled and nasal steroids will likely continue to represent one of the primary choices for treating nasal and pulmonary allergy conditions. "

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Hmm. I have had minor changes in vision from taking oxymetazoline HCl nasally. But they seem to reverse themselves after I stop for a few days. I do try to take as little as possible, as a last resort for opeining up my clogged nasal passsages. I use saline solution as much as possible, and hot soup with Tobasco sauce.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
how do i know?

cause i only stopped holding my nose 3 months ago (after my bad sinus infection) and i have been having acupuncture for 6 years (and holding my nose for as long as that).

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
*bump*

I just made an appointment with an acupuncturist for the first time. With the recent change in temps, I have had swollen glands and sinus problems for almost 2 weeks now. I made up my mind to seek alternative treatments this time around. I'll post an update after my session next week.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts