VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'll be traveling by car about 2,000 across country with my cat. Does anyone have suggestions about how to go about using a litter box while traveling? Currently she uses the booda dome box, but it's so big it won't fit in my car.

Also, when staying at pet friendly hotels, has anyone done so without letting on that you have a pet with you? I feel like it would be better to pay the $10.00 pet fee just so I don't have to feel paranoid about getting caught, but it really adds up on top of the hotel room fee...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I have traveled with cats and there are two good options:
- disposable litter boxes (like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751596 )
- change the litter each day (drive with the box empty, fill is up with litter at each motel, dump the litter and clean the box, drive to next motel...)

About the fees - I'll be honest and admit that there've been a couple times when I haven't paid for every animal. Say, they have a limit of two animals per room and I've had three or four. But it's important to pay for at least one animal to make sure they put you in a pet-friendly room and that they know you have an animal (important for various reasons including the animals' safety). So I wouldn't recommend trying to sneak your animals in. I will however suggest that traveling by RV can be more convenient when you have animals. So if you have that option go for it!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Elaine! I'm just going to have to get a new and smaller litter box or try out the disposables.

I'm probably going to end up paying for the pet fees, unfortunately. There's no way I can afford to travel by RV, but gee that would sure cut down room fees!
Thanks.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
When we moved down from Alaska with our cat and dog, the catbox went (this was a truck with a crew cab) on the foot space in the back seat, she had no problems with it, actually, she was a joy to move. We stayed in Motel 6's, they're usually quite clean (not luxurious, but clean) and don't have added pet fees, and are ALWAYS pet friendly.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you River. I will definitely check out Motel 6!

I guess more what I'm worried about is when and how often I should let my cat try to use the litter box...my car is going to be filled with things, so the only place for her is in the front seat in her carrier.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

Thank you River. I will definitely check out Motel 6!

I guess more what I'm worried about is when and how often I should let my cat try to use the litter box...my car is going to be filled with things, so the only place for her is in the front seat in her carrier.
Eek, I wish I could help you with cats. I don't think they're like dogs and will realize that 'now is the time' so to speak.

·
Registered
982 Posts
We've had to take a few trips with our cats. We taught them to accept a leash (harness style) from an early age. They are in carriers while we are driving for their safety and we stop every hour or two... usually at a gas station or wayside of some sort. You may notice your cat getting restless or scratching at their carrier. That's a good sign to pull over ASAP. We put the cats on their leashes and walk them in a sandy area if we can find it, because they seem to prefer sand or dirt over grass. I have been able to use the same technique with cats that were not leash trained, but they may be a bit stressed in a strange place on a leash. Don't be surprised if your cat "holds it" until you're settled down in a hotel. You know your cat best. If you think she won't handle the leash then keep a small littler box on the floor and make frequent stops to let her out of her carrier and into her litter box.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Why do you keep them in a carrier for safety, just out of curiosity. Penelope was just fine hanging out in my lap.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I traveled with a cat once. We put her catbox behind the seat and let her roam around, even though our car was pretty packed. I definitely remember her using it on the road. Before we'd open any car doors, we would locate and hold her. We never paid any extra fees at hotels.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Why do you keep them in a carrier for safety, just out of curiosity. Penelope was just fine hanging out in my lap.
It's sort of like securing a kid in a car seat... they may be perfectly safe riding on your lap, but in the event of an accident they could be seriously harmed. If your pets are secured in the back seat (cats and small dogs in a carrier secured with the car's lap belt, large dogs secured with specialty leashes to the car's lap belt) they are more likely to survive in the event of a crash. Pets, like kids, can also get unexpectedly nervous or energetic and become a distraction to the driver... leading to an accident. Generally, it's just plain safer for everyone involved if your pet is properly secured.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts