VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...i've been reading the other book thread and i see we've all been reading some very intellectual books but....we ALL read trash (by trash i mean fiction, romance, horror, etc.) so what trash are we reading.

i'll start. I am re-reading the Farrar's "The Pagan Path" (NOT my trash book!!) but for trash reading I just started the new Dean Koontz "The Face"

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I must confess, I'm a Nora Roberts junkie. My dad's fi reads "junk" and gives me bags of books regularly...mostly romance novels.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*I* don't call them trash. To me no book is trash...ever! But from the other thread I got the impression that most reading tastes here were on the "high-brow" side and in comparison some folk might consider popular writing "trash". But not me! I've even been known to enjoy the occasional cereal box and shampoo bottle when nothing else is available....and i am an unashamed magazine addict.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, there were some interesting books but....personally i dont think most people read that stuff exclusively.....i know i don't. we all have our guilty little pleasures........

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm almost done reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis a nd Shampoo Planet by Douglas Coupland. I recently read Zooey and Franny by J.D. Salinger.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean

I'm almost done reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis a nd Shampoo Planet by Douglas Coupland. I recently read Zooey and Franny by J.D. Salinger.
I LOVE American Psycho! That book is so great! I don't consider it trash, though. I think it's brilliant!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sandiemac

I've even been known to enjoy the occasional cereal box and shampoo bottle when nothing else is available....and i am an unashamed magazine addict.
That is so like me!! I just love to read - period!

I'm a magazine addict, too. My bf always teases me for reading what he says is "mindless fluff". But, I actually read some good stuff in Vanity Fair mag, Vogue, and others!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I suppose the last truly "trashy" books I read were months ago - 2 books by Diana Diamond, The Babysitter and The Good Sister. I have to admit, I thought they were too "fluffy", though. The plots were way too predictable, so I don't think I'll read her stuff again.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I think I am the only "trash" book reader. Yes, I love erotic books. I admit it..... I know they are definately not for most people, but I love them from time to time **blush**

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
dammit majake. those are NOT trash.
plus i have them all. at least the ones by vc andrews. vc andrews is dead and the writer that took over doesnt have the same loony style.

i love trashy romance novels. funny i hate romantic movies, unless its an epic, but i love the books.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:

yea, there were some interesting books but....personally i dont think most people read that stuff exclusively.....i know i don't. we all have our guilty little pleasures........
Some people do. I read mainly non-fiction - science, art, philosophy and history because of Uni demands and also for pleasure. Plus I find a lot of modern fiction to be boring and badly written.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean

I'm almost done reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
OK this is gonna sound highbrow but BEE writes like a 12 year old in remedial english. There I said it. The idea behind American Psycho would have been better served if it was written by someone more capable.

As for my 'trash' or low brow reading I'm going through Issac Asimov's Foundation series YET AGAIN. I love this series (even the later books) and even though I know what happens its the fact that Asimov can transport you into such a realistic future.

Other than that I just finished John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces - anyone who hasn't read it HAS to. Its brilliant.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i've read a couple of asimov short stories..not the scifi but more of a religious bent and they were marvelous.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:

i've read a couple of asimov short stories..not the scifi but more of a religious bent and they were marvelous.
I was never really into Sci-Fi before I read his stuff. I always assumed Sci-Fi was just pulp fiction - like the Star Trek series.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love brit lit! You know... "Bridget's Diary" kind of stuff (and I promise the book was not as lousy as the movie was!). I read everyone I can get my hands on. And I search. I've resorted to what I refer to as faux-brit-lit (brit lit style, but set in America). Not so great.

Also read magazines like crazy and about a zillion kids books (to my son) everyday.

And ingredient lists....bbbooyyyy do I read ingredient lists.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts