VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm an advocate for animal rights and wanted to cut off eating meat completely. However, I have a special health condition that requires high protein and calcium intake daily–would it be possible to be completely vegan? I've asked my doctor regarding this, but he thinks the work around is too technical and to just stick with meat right now.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
What do you mean by "high"? That is, how many milligrams of calcium and grams of protein?

At least some nutritionists say that it's hard to get enough calcium without dairy. I was once reading a piece about general nutrition (not even specifically vegan) and it actually mentioned the "gentle tyranny(??!!whaaaaa...?) of milk".... which is weird, since milk isn't a natural food for adult mammals.

I think the theory is that our prehistoric ancestors ate the bones of animals they consumed. Herbivorous animals often go to areas rich in salts and lick at them; I don't know if it's calcium they're after, or minerals generally. Many of my favorite vegetables are relatively rich in calcium, but I do take an occasional calcium supplement (maybe 300 mg every 2 or 3 days).

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want a second opinion, you can consult a Holistic MD, an integrative medicine MD or maybe an osteopath.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You don't need high protein or high calcium in my opinion. You need a more alkaline low sugar diet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is not necessary to re-invent the wheel or try to figure this all out on our own. We can take advice from medical professionals who know what the appropriate course of action is. And that medical professional, can be someone from natural medicine, like a Holistic MD, integrative medicine MD or an Osteopath.

I know that Do It Yourself has become culturally popular. But with medical issues, it is hardly a wise choice. We do have to know. And proceed with what is known. Otherwise, we are just playing with potential dangers.

If we have some kind of complex medical problem that doctors can't figure out or we can't afford to take medical appointments that we need, then we are going to have to find an alternative path to find information. But that really has to be the last resort.

Standard or mainstream medical knowledge is always changing. So what is "known" today is thrown out in the next generation of medical knowledge. However, that is not license to just do what we want.

Mahatma Gandhi wrote 3 books on natural health. If we can consider him a respectable source of information, he once said that sometimes Western medicine is necessary and that natural medicine just can't go fast enough to provide relief.

He also directly stated that those who follow a vegetarian path need to have "all the necessary vitamins and minerals" --- I believe that is close to an exact quote.

But, I think there is a kind of dangerous consciousness seeping into the public mind, that we have a kind of freedom of choice to do what we want...to the extent that we can utterly disregard any and all previously set paradigms.

We might be able to disregard some previously accepted concepts, but that is not license to disregard whatever we choose, whenever we want to do things.

I mean that in the sense, let us say, regarding protein intake. Maybe we don't want to be limited by another person's idea of how much protein we need. But that does not mean that our personal choice for how much protein we need, is at all accurate. There is going to be a specific figure for a specific person. Now, I don't know that that figure is 50 grams per day (US RDA) or 35 grams per day (WHO RDA). But I am pretty certain, it is not 5 grams per day or 10 grams per day. And I have personally witnessed plenty of folks eating only 15 grams of protein per day and that kind of thing. For example, one egg is only 5 grams of protein. So, here's a daily diet for some folks. Morning....piece of toast (maybe 1 gram of protein). Lunch...green salad (maybe 1 gram of protein). Dinner - Frozen veggie meal - maybe 10 grams of protein. And my assertion would be that that kind of diet could indeed be dangerous. If your body can't manufacture the necessary enzymes and etc. to engage necessary functions...you are going to get sick and if not altered, eventually die. That medical paradigm is known and respected by all professionals...whether from natural or mainstream medicine.

So, if you don't have some kind of perfect insight...generally stay within the bounds of what most of the folks say is safe.

And if you want to defy science, most likely you are eventually going to get seriously and dangerously ill.

MAHATMA GANDHI'S VIEWS ON HEALTH

(includes complete books)

Online, free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I basically agree with JonTR22 except that I'm not as confident in professional opinions and training as most people are. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) we have to figure a lot of this stuff out for ourselves and what works for our biochemical individuality. There is a lot of useful references out there, yet you still have to really tune into what is going on in your physical body and match it with a particular body of information that makes sense to you that you can use in the moment. It's important to feel good about what you are doing inside and out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts