VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound really silly but I tried to go vegan cold turkey and failed so I came up with a very 'me' solution. I bought a VEGAN badge and patches for my bags and wear them everywhere. In my strange little mind its a way to encourage me to go vegan because I feel like a fraud wearing the badge/patches. This together with the ever present guilt of continuing to eat dairy should help.

So anyway I was thinking of things I could do or change to make the transition a bit easier still and I decided that I should start drinking low-fat or no-fat milk and low fat/salt cheese (no animal rennet either obviously) so I can get used to not having the fat/salt in my food and drinks.

Does that make sense? Did anyone else try it or another way?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Sounds like a plan (you know - whatever works)

I never had a problem converting to soy milk. I love the taste of Silk soy milk!! (especially the cafe latte flavor).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Fragile I say do it when and how you feel comfortable. There's no rules, even though sometimes we feel that there is. I tried a couple of time to cut out dairy, but with no success, until now. I just one day cut it out. I think you just need to know within yourself that you are ready, and when you are you will find that it is easy. Good Luck and don't feel silly!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have a bracelet that says Vegan Joy (I made it myself, I'm a dork), and when I wear it, I feel like I'd be a hypocrite if I "cheat" so it helps keep me honest.

It's just a reminder, to keep me from thinking "Oh, I'll just have a nibble of that candy bar" or "Oh, I'll just have a bite of my sister's cheese pizza", etc.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It's a pretty good plan, except maybe you should switch to soymilk right away(it's good!) and eat lowfat cheese and/or soycheese with casein. Then later you can cut out stuff with trace dairy ingredients. And I love the badge idea!

BTW- I'm not really a vegan, I just drink soymilk instead of milk. I want to be a vegan someday(my family's barely gotten used to me being a lacto-ovo veggie!) and that's the plan I would probably follow. Good luck!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys

And mayuko & ceryna I'm finding the badge a good deterrant. Esp. seeing as I work in the heart of Sydney and people here KNOW what a vegan is so I get weird stares if I try to buy Dairy
- its like a home detention ankle bracelet except the cops don't come after me the Veg*n police do in their own subtle -yet strangely disturbing way ----->

Mmm... and I just bought a Sweet William Roast Almond chocolate bar - no dairy - and its pretty good. Still has that Soy aftertaste but its not bad enough to make me stay away from it. Cool bananas! One of my main worries about becoming vegan was losing my fave food
but know I know non-dark chocolate is still good w/out milk and more importantly handy!

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Congrats!

Soymilk is awesome! I use silk, and I LOVE it. I can drink a glass of it easier than I could ever drink cow milk. A trick for me is to think of all the nasty things that happened to the animal that gave the milk for that chocolate/cheese, the eggs for that omelette, etc.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
There are only two things I can't find an adequate vegan substitute for...cheese, and Mousse Pocky.

But I know I feel better when I eat vegan, both physically and spiritually. It's wonderful. ^_^

Good luck to you as you continue on your journey. ^______^

ETA: I just found Newman's Own Organic Sweet Dark Chocolate...dairy free and delicious! Yum!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I dont like soymilk all that much.. Still I drink it...

I read somewhere that if you have NO milk.. Not even soymilk for a whole week, then you have soymilk you'll probably like it more because you're mind will think it tastes just like milk...

Or something like that anyway... I havent tried it.. it would be too hard to give up soymilk for a week...!!

Danny

·
Registered
927 Posts
The badge idea is great - I'm a person who is seriously influenced by my own words and symbols. I become what I proclaim myself to be. Go for it!

I may be weird, but I've always avoid milk with the fat taken out. (Although low-fat cheese works for me.) I think fatless milk is just ick. You might want to go straight to the yummiest soy milk you can find (vanilla, 20% fat), then ramp down to less flamboyant soy milks.

Blessings, Tom

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
LOL. That's a great idea. If you can't remind yourself it's bad, then guilt yourself in to it! Love it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The badges sound like a great idea!

> so I can get used to not having the fat/salt in my food and drinks

I'm not vegan, but I do drink soy milk (and I love it) and I just wanted to suggest that you try regular-fat soy milk. In my opinion, it tastes a million times better than the low fat stuff, and since the fat's largely unsaturated (unlike cow's milk) there's little harm in it.

Also, if you don't like one brand of soy milk, try another. There's a ton of variation not just in fat content, but in sugar content and flavour too. The least soy-tasting soy milks seem to be made with soy protein isolate. I prefer the whole soy ones, but some people prefer the less soy-y flavour. (Almond milk is also a good transition drink, but it's a bit expensive.)

Good luck

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
*laughs* Ceryna, Pocky's a problem for me too! It's so so so good (LOVE the strawberry variety!) and I hadn't had it for a few months before becoming vegan, and I got a random whim to look up the ingredients and saw milk powder and was quite sad
hehe

·
Registered
142 Posts
after i finish up using the animal by-product foods i have (stuff with dairy/eggs/honey as ingredients), i should make a bracelet, because I will see that and it will try to stop me from buying animal stuffs.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i would actually use a weaning process. . .rather than eating cheeses and stuff that aren't as good for you, buy quality cheeses in lesser and lesser quantity.

over processed cheese isn't as healthy for you. So, switch to the more expensive, less processed organic and biodynamic cheeses. Then, as i said, reduce the quantity that you eat from day to day. replace it with other things such as guacamole, hummus (made with oil), various oils (olive oil etc), olives, nut butters, and other things that will satisfy the need for fats (as fat is good for you), without the cheese.

milk is probably much easier--and i would do what someone suggested, off milk for a week or two, then add in soy milk. I like Edensoy Extra in regular flavor. Milk, now, tastes NASTY to me--and i used to drink a lot of it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Yeah, try different soy milks and find one or two you like. There was a new brand called "Yü" that was awesome, came in mango, strawberry, almond and a bunch of others, but I've since started using Silk. It rocks.

If you don't think you like soymilk try the Chocolate Silk Milk. Completely addictive!!!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Mouuuu, Strawberry Pocky...;-;

Mayuko, have you ever tried Collon? It's my other favorite Japanese snack...and it has milk powder in it, too. ;-;

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I drand cow milk I always drank the nonfat because the animal fat is not healthy. I like soy milk much better than cow milk. I drink silk vanilla (or whole foods vanilla)! Its great because I don't worry about getting the low fat kind. The vanilla slik tastes so sweet and yummy but somehow it has less carbs than cow milk!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Why not try having part and part cow's milk and soy milk? Gradually increase the amount of soy until that's all you're drinking. As for cheese - I would say cut it out completely for a while and then start replacing it with vegan alternatives if you so wish. Of course you could do the same with milk too

People do this sort of thing all the time for weight-loss reasons. Changing from sugar to artificial sweeteners, full-fat milk to skimmed, low-fat yoghurts, etc.

The badge is a cool idea. I do the same sort of thing, by giving myself the label of 'vegan'. Other people know I'm vegan so if I cheat or give in it's their vision of veganism I'm hurting. It's enough of a motivation

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.