VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve recently moved over to a vegan diet and I’m looking for some tips for my calorie intake if anybody has some? I’m quite a fussy person so I’m struggling to reach my maintenance calories. Are there any shakes that I can have?
In a given day I have fruit for my breakfast, a salad for my lunch and a plate of veggies for my dinner with a bowl of short grain rice. I don’t like meat replacement things I’m also not a fan of nuts, lentils, or beans pulses etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You may not be a fan but you should try to get some more variety in there. Switch rice for quinoa a few times a week? Quinoa has more protein. Seed butters like sunflower seed or tahini? Pumpkin seeds? Hemp seed? Does hummus count as a bean meaning you don't like it?

Aside from "meat replacement things" there is seitan, tofu, and tempeh -- protein staples that also help fill you up. Seitan and tempeh are not always easy to find in stores, but tofu is available everywhere, and all you need is a couple of good ways to prep it. (I like the air fryer for tofu, but you can cube it and bake it and it comes out nicely.)

I would also make sure you have some healthy fats in there: avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, flax seed or oil (aka linseed).

Add some whole-grain toast to your breakfast? Or find a recipe for a whole-grain breakfast muffin? Mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes? DARK CHOCOLATE?

Personally I wouldn't rely on shakes (I assume you mean with a protein powder) if whole foods are an option, but you gotta do what you gotta do. You could however add something like almond butter or even a half can of white beans to a smoothie with fruits, greens, and soy milk -- you won't even taste that thing you don't like, if there's enough fruit in there.

Also don't sell yourself short quite yet. Our taste preferences change pretty rapidly, and you may start to enjoy things you didn't envision yourself eating three years ago or even three months ago. I didn't like brussels sprouts until I'd been vegan for a few years and went ooh! yum!

There's fussy, and then there's fussy to the point of self-sabotage, so you might want to consider contacting a vegan registered dietician for more advice. This is a pretty restrictive diet you're describing. What do you do at restaurants? Parties? Holidays?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts