VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get more into trail running and was wondering if anyone else here spent a lot of time on the trails?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Love working outdoors in general. I hit the trails once or twice per week.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I like being outdoors and I hike a lot but for some reason have never gotten into the habit of hitting the trails on a regular basis. I'd like to do it more regularly, especially since there are a lots of trails close by to where we live...

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I'm signed up for a trail 10k in May, really looking forward to it.

What makes trail running trail running? Is it really just running on trails? I don't get much opportunity for that in London, but there are a few places I can go, it's wonderful getting lost in the woods.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you have to change up your stride a bit because of obstacles (roots, rocks, uneven surfaces, etc.) and in doing so I believe you use a lot more stabilizer muscles in your legs...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Well you have to change up your stride a bit because of obstacles (roots, rocks, uneven surfaces, etc.) and in doing so I believe you use a lot more stabilizer muscles in your legs...
And it's also a lot more enjoyable. The place I usually go is up a hill in some woods (and only about 15 minutes away). It's got miles and miles of different trails with varying inclines and declines, not to mention a small lake and even a deer here and there. I actually look forward to it, whereas treadmills, or even circular tracks, make me feel like a hamster.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nomad, since you seem to have experience with this sort of stuff... Any thoughts on trail running in the snow??

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Nomad, since you seem to have experience with this sort of stuff... Any thoughts on trail running in the snow??

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Actually that's pretty accurate lol.

Depends on how much snow and ice. If you haven't done a trail before while it's covered in snow, take it real slow the first time. I don't do trails I'm unfamiliar with when it's all slippery, but I wouldn't suggest giving up on the trails just because of a little snow either. Just use caution. Get some trail running or hiking shoes with good traction, watch out for rocks and ice patches hidden under the snow, go slower than you normally would, and make sure you have medical insurance just in case lol. Slips and falls are gonna happen from time to time, it's unavoidable just like with skiing. Also, snow shoeing on the same trails can be a good workout too, the only downside being that you have to invest in some extra equipment.

Even terrain, such as the lake in my picture or the boring running tracks, are a bit easier than trying to go trail running in the snow since you don't have to worry about stumbling on snow covered rocks.

Also, shoes that are water resistant (many trail running shoes are) are ideal. Snow will obviously make your shoes wet and, even if you don't mind the water at first, it will eventually give you nasty blisters, not to mention quickly destroy your shoes after a couple runs.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

Yaktraxs are great for running on hard packed snow and ice. Don't wear in fluffy unpacked snow you will just end up with clods of snow stuck to your shoes.

http://www.yaktrax.com/
Cool stuff, I think I may get myself a little present
I've been using fairly generic trail running shoes. The generic attachments I've used before didn't tend to stay on very well for running, maybe these will work a lot better.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I decided to skip today's trail run today since it snowed/iced over and I don't feel like I really know the trail well... I figured it probably wasn't a good idea. Luckily the weather should be nice this week...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I ended up going with Kahtoola MICROspikes instead of Yak Trax after going through a bunch of reviews. The MICROspikes seem to be much more rugged, which I need cause I abuse the hell out of my various training equipment. They work very, very well. No problems running on ice so far.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's good to know nomad. The weather here is back to unusually high temperatures, but most times, when it does get cold, we got lots of ice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts