VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody collect toys? My husband (who's alomost 27 ) is a toy collector. He mostly collects G.I. Joes (the 3 1/4" ones from the 80's), Transformers and Movie Maniacs (horror movie figures). We also collect Homies. I feel like I have 2 kids!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I used to collect the movie maniacs series, but I kind of gave up due to expense. Plus, I wasn't sure what to actually do with them once I had them. I mean, how many times can you make Jason and Leather Face fight to the death? Especially if Leather Face always wins anyway.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's even worse is that my husband has 2 of most of them! He'd open one to play with, and keep one in the packaging and hung on the wall. They are expensive, so a lot of the time, we wait until they're on clearance. The G.I. Joe thing is uncontrollable-everyday he asks if we can go to the comic book store. They've taken over our bedroom. When we move, he's having a room just for toys (like a mini toystore).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Last year when my parents were moving into the city, I helped them pack from the old house and also packed some of my old stuff. I had a not too large stack of old comics from the 70's and 80's including some Batman ones in bags (not too bad a shape but not worth much). I started buying some new batman comics and also got in this nostalgic mood for some old 70's robot toys like Shogun Warriors

I also thought Micronauts would be cool to collect. They were a neat toy from the late 70's / early 80's :)

So I bought a number of small robots from the 70's on ebay but I soon lost interest and it would have been an expensive hobby anyway (some of the diecast larger more complex ones were even as high as $1000 US which was definatlye out of my league ... I was in the $30 to $60 area).

So I am no longer interested in toy collecting ... I guess it was just a nostalgic interlude brought on by moving and getting some of my old stuff from childhood

One of the most interesting toys I saw on ebay was a special Jaw-wah (spelling) original Star Wars figure(1978 or so) which was unopened in it's plastic bubble and carboard backing in absolute mint condition. It's cape material was rare and it was at like 2100 British Pounds ($3500 or so US) when I saw it last. That's amazing for a little 3" or so figure!

I'd rather collect guitars though which I can see happening ;-) . I only have 3 and a bass but am in the mood for another soon

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My husband use to have the Shogun Warrior called Gaiking ( the 23 1/4" one ) . He wishes he still had it! Star War toys are expensive, my older brother sold all his and was able to travel to Europe

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
we have 4 shelves of transformer toys lining the wall across from the bed. those stinkin things are the first thing i see in the morning lol

all belonging to my bf of course. he also has the original series on video, several t shirts and the new comic book series

the sad part is, he doesn't collect them to collect them, he actually takes them out of the boxes and plays with them

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL! So does my husband. I'll catch him "playing" with his G.I. Joes like he's a little kid (no wonder he's such a good dad ). He has them set up in battle scenes. He wants to get G.I. Joe tattoos. He got all excited when I told him I'd buy myself Princess of Power (remember Sheera?) if I ever saw them anywhere.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
at a thrift store i found a copy of transformers the movie. i bought it for my husband. i don't collect anything myself, but my daughter wants to collect everything. i limit it to 3 things babysitters club books, pez, and her most favorite care bears.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Tim collects all things VolksWagen.

We both pick up things at thrift stores that remind us of our childhoods. I just wish I could find more smurfs.

For Yule, I bought him a Care Bear that came with a video. He wanted it.

I collect all things mystical. I have mostly fairies, but also dragons, elves, gnomes, wizards, skulls, unicorns, stones, etc. Not all can be considered toys though. I have some porcelain dolls of fairies and some cool barbies that I keep in their boxes.

Here is a Barbie that I was thrilled to find. She is called Midnight Moon Princess, but by the crescent on her brow as well as the moon imagery on the box, she's definitely a priestess. I've found quite a few "pagan-friendly" Barbies.
LL

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Gargamel (sp), but I lost Azriel (again sp). Gargamel hangs out in the kitchen.

We have a friend who collects VW busses. Real ones, not toys or anything-he has about 4 right now, but he's always looking for more to fix up and re-sell. He also has a really cool orage fastback with leapord -print interior (I think he thought I was going to but it:wink: ). He has a lot of VW stuff on E-Bay, if you're interested.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
what's a fastback?

i love VW buses. saw a few at the bike races with the roofs popped up to make a tent sort of thing. neat!

i forgot, i collect dragons. i have a really pitifully small collection so far, because i don't buy them myself, can't afford to yet, most of the ones i have so far have been gifts. i need more!!

oh another thing i almost forgot. we don't have any yet but we hope to collect weapons. like from the renaissance and stuff, i want me some swords and daggers, the boyfriend is mainly interested in getting a battleaxe and gauntlets. our roommate has several knives and a goblet. i also want a samurai sword

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

oh another thing i almost forgot. we don't have any yet but we hope to collect weapons. like from the renaissance and stuff, i want me some swords and daggers, the boyfriend is mainly interested in getting a battleaxe and gauntlets.
How could I have forgotten? I have a ton of knives. Some fancy some not. Some dagger-type some pocket type. Eventually, I'll get a sword or two. I have a few other miscellaneous weapons also. I don't know why I like them, but I do. I keep them out of Tim's sight though because he likes to play around with them, but they are NOT toys!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, my friend's fastback looks just like the 3rd one down, except that it's orange. He does headlining and interiors, so he did the interior of his leapord print, it looks really good.

I forgot too! We also have weapons! We have an "excalibur" sword (my husband is my lancelot
). We also have machetes, various other knives, a switchblade (cause they're so cool and bad-ass) and baseball bats ( I have one on my side of the bed). Just as a disclaimer- all weaponry is kept out of our little one's reach (except the bat!). My husband really wants to get a katana (sp).

It seems like our man-folk would get along with each other pretty well-just put them in a room with some toys, cars and weaponry (dk_art, you can hang out too)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts