VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there, i was wondering if anyone know's anything about toxoplasmosis? everything i read is different and i'm wondering why i can't find consistant info?? i am going to have to be changing the cat box for the next 8 weeks or so while hubby is out of town working and i'm almost 6 weeks pregnant...

·
Registered
51 Posts
This of course, will be one of those posts where someone says "my friend of a friend did this and that and they turned out great!" so take this anyway you want!

My best friend several years back was pregnant, and she has 6 cats. She was worried about toxo, and asked the vet about it. The vet said to wear a paper surgical mask and disposeable gloves-- and if possible, to use cat pan liners to minimize the contact of litter to skin. She did all three things, and she turned out just fine.

Maybe could you invest in a LitterMaid? I know it's pricey, but if you are uncertain... it might be the best way to go, if there is no one else to change the pan for you.....

Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks rosment! i thjink it will al work out..

we just had our cats tested and just got the results in this morning and they are negative!!!! yay! in any case i am stocked up on masks and disposible gloves and plan to use those since we already bought them, and we do use kitty litter liners as well! i really am unsure how much of the info out there is actually true...whose ever heard of a pregnant woman in the USA w/ this first of all? plus the info is so different from one source to the next..

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
all i know is every brand of litter i've ever bought has said on the package not to change the litter if you're pregnant. if they have to print a warning on the package it must be a real threat.

but if you use the masks and gloves i imagine it's fine, and wash your hands really well after you dispose of everything

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it just seems to me if it were a real threat the info out there would be more clear about this..i have read dozens of articles and looked it up in just as many books and websites and EVERY source says something different...just makes me wonder why is all? btw you can get it from dogs & undercooked meat as well according to a couple sources i've read, though the mainstream public doesn't seem to know anything about that! anyhow from what i've read this is more prevalent in europe (especially france).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my husband actually took our 3 cats in and had them tested and the tests were negative!!!!! In any case I am using gloves and cat liners because I already bought them! Oh and just so you know, I did ask my midwife about this and she said it's a grey area as nobody really has any difinitive answers about it...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I thought you were more at risk for toxo if your cat was an indoor/outdoor cat? I thought the risk was very low if your cat was an indoor cat and had no contact with rodents? Still it's something that shouldn't be chanced, ditto the gloves and mask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts