VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,691 Posts
i use bean sprouts all the time, i buy them bulk, even though dozens of people have stuck their grimey hands in them. and they've never made me sick. before i cook them i toss them into a strainer and run a lot of veeeerrry hot water over them and shake thema round to make sure they all get rinsed well.

alfalfa sprouts though i buy in those little plastic containers and stick em right on a sandwich straight from the box. also never made me sick.

i've heard all that stuff about how bacteria and things stick in them and can't be rinsed away but until i actually know of people getting sick from them i'm not too worried
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,691 Posts
yeah i heard that too. i think it's because the seed shell is usually still attached and bacteria or whatever collects in the shells, which is why it's supposedly impossible to wash off.

sometimes if i'm worried i use my fruit and veggie wash on them but normally i don't even bother.

fairchild, maybe you've developped an allergy or an intolerance, to either sprouts or something that was used to treat them? ask if other people who shop at the same store as you got sick from them or from other produce, maybe it's a chemical the store or supplier uses
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top