VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, everyone. I'm addressing the sprout issue again. I have read an equal amount of testimonies stating both sides of the question of sprouts: that is...if they are toxic or not. I have to say, though, that I've seen more articles on sprouts being perfectly healthy than on the other perspective. ANYWAY..that isn't the issue here...my question for you all is....have you any evidence in your personal experience that link sprouts to any sickness you've had? I"ve been sick for 5 months in a row..and I never get sick. I have also eaten sprouts (mung, clover, alfalfa,) close to the time I've gotten sick...each. However....I've eaten sprouts many times before in my life..and never had this problem. Thinking back, has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
142 Posts
i've never had a problem with sprouts...and i eat them all the time! i really think the sprout issue is alot of hype...and sprout growers do not have alot of $$ or lobbyists to help counteract the assults.

see this for more info: http://www.sproutpeople.com/safe.html

i've mentioned before that i grow my own sprouts - maybe that has some affect on the safety (since i make sure to rinse well, that the water is always clean, and that the growing vessels are properly cleaned btw cultivations).

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Sprouts are not the only food said to contain naturally occuring toxins. In Dr. Weil's Spontaneous Healing, he also talks about peanuts and peanut butter being full of toxins.

I think the most important thing is that the things we consume are in moderation! I've had sprouts several times without any negative symptoms, but I never ate them for long periods of time either. You may want to take a long break from your sprouts and see if you get better; I know its sad. I love the things but rarely buy them.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i use bean sprouts all the time, i buy them bulk, even though dozens of people have stuck their grimey hands in them. and they've never made me sick. before i cook them i toss them into a strainer and run a lot of veeeerrry hot water over them and shake thema round to make sure they all get rinsed well.

alfalfa sprouts though i buy in those little plastic containers and stick em right on a sandwich straight from the box. also never made me sick.

i've heard all that stuff about how bacteria and things stick in them and can't be rinsed away but until i actually know of people getting sick from them i'm not too worried

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
The reason I heard they could be contaminated them with ecoli.

Quote:
Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly, especially those that will not be cooked. Children under 5 years of age, immunocompromised persons, and the elderly should avoid eating alfalfa sprouts until their safety can be assured. Methods to decontaminate alfalfa seeds and sprouts are being investigated.
From http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/ecoli.html

However, I still eat them once in a while.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah i heard that too. i think it's because the seed shell is usually still attached and bacteria or whatever collects in the shells, which is why it's supposedly impossible to wash off.

sometimes if i'm worried i use my fruit and veggie wash on them but normally i don't even bother.

fairchild, maybe you've developped an allergy or an intolerance, to either sprouts or something that was used to treat them? ask if other people who shop at the same store as you got sick from them or from other produce, maybe it's a chemical the store or supplier uses

·
Registered
444 Posts
I tried alfalfa sprouts for the first time recently, and I felt nauseated the next morning. I am not sure if it was the sprouts or if it was a coincidence, but since I didn't particularly like them, I won't be buying them again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey everyone. Thanks for all the input. The sprouts I ate were ones that I grew myself. I"ve heard that whole Dr.Weil thing. Here's an article that refutes him. http://www.isga-sprouts.org/alfalfa2.htm Also...if you search "alfalfa sprouts toxins", you will come up with more articles taking this perspective. By the way..any more tips on how to keep homegrown sprouts clean and sanitary?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts