VeggieBoards banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's getting better around here, but yeah- we usually drive to Red Bank or Bradley Beach for really good resturants.

I went to the Spring Lake Manor for a shower and the chef made me such a beautiful plate of roasted veggies and saffron rice- complete with a red cabbage rose and carrot curl confetti that people were stopping by the table to ooo and ahhh.

money talks, BS walks, as me ole dad would say.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah, I would never spring it on my friends that we are going to a vegan place, or ask them not to order what they choose to eat. they don't make it difficult for me to enjoy my dinner, and i won't make it difficult for them. though i do notice they tend to order veggie dishes too- maybe me being there gives them some awareness.

about every 2 weeks or so a group of us girls gets together for a fabolous dinner somewhere. i've never had anyone suggest a BBQ place yet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well the night I was describing was tough because it was a tapas place which means we share everything, all plates get passed around for all to try. Yes they had veggie options but nobody really seemed interested in those, my boyfriend kept looking at me so concerned like "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO EAT?" I said "there are plenty of things for me to eat here, I just will eat them alone." It is like the veggie dishes don't count as meals to omni peeps, everyone kept looking at me as to say "aren't you starving? you barley ate? this meat is so good I could never deprive myself like you are? What is the point of all of this not eating meat and cheese, just eat it, it tastes so good"

I thank you all for the advice and I have come to the conclusion that it is something that I must suck up and deal with, somedays are hard and some days are not. Usually when we go out to eat I don't have a problem with others ordering meat but at this particular place I was describing was a place where everyone shares all the dishes, there is only tapas there, not any regular meals, that is why it was difficult. But I got over it and I will have to get over it and learn to live with it.

Anyway for some good news, one of the pals I was out with on Friday (you know one of the meat eaters) went on a mad shopping spree at whole foods yesterday and bought veggie burgers, soy milk, and brown rice. Good signs people, it is a good sign. ALso my boyfirend ordered himself a soy latte yesterday. This makes it all worth the little aggravations!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
By the way I apologize for not following up on my former boyfriend thread, I really appreciated all the advice. You guys are really the only support system I have got on this road and I do cherish it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Telling some what to order at any restaraunt [sic] is not (and is what JC suggested).
Yes. You totally understood my point. Thank you.

And further to my suggestion, when you eat out with omnis you should not only order for them, you should also pick the wine, choose dessert, and, if you're going to the cinema after, you should definitely pick the movie. You should probably also tell them what to wear to the restaurant. And giving your omni pals few flash cards with suitable topics for discussion that evening is a must.

If I ever find a publisher for A Jeezycreezy Guide To Grade A Vegan Jackassery you can read a myriad of strategies to help you impose your will on your friends.

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybrown View Post

Anyway for some good news, one of the pals I was out with on Friday (you know one of the meat eaters) went on a mad shopping spree at whole foods yesterday and bought veggie burgers, soy milk, and brown rice. Good signs people, it is a good sign. ALso my boyfirend ordered himself a soy latte yesterday. This makes it all worth the little aggravations!
It sounds like all your aggravation was worthwhile then. Keep standing your ground and you'll be amazed at the effect you have on people. Vegetarianism is contagious.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
i would not tell someone what to order but telling them that you would prefer a veg restaurant next time would be a wonderful experience unless they are really close minded or like to argue and call names, as some of our members here.

i like it when my family orders a veg meal that we can all share and taste together because if they get omnivorous, i suppose they can try mine but i will not try theirs. it is a fun sharing experience if they forego the flesh and liquid meat for a meal.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts