VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a pretty hip-and-groovy seaside city, so vegetarianism is no big deal here for the most part. But I keep finding myself astonished at some of the things vegetarians have to deal with. (My only son's a vegetarian; I prepare two vegetarian meals a day for the family, and we all fend for ourselves for lunch.)

A friend of mine just told me that her brothers used to draw sad or crying faces on vegetables when she was growing up the only vegetarian in the house. She took it pretty well, and I admit that I cracked up when she told me (mostly because she's a great storyteller); but I can imagine that's the kind of thing that would become pretty annoying if it happened on an everyday basis -- especially if you're the only non-omnivore in the house, and young to boot.

On a more serious note, I don't understand the out-and-out unkindness I'm hearing about more and more. From both sides. When I mentioned that my son had become a vegetarian (he was four at the time, is almost 14 now -- so much for "he'll grow out of it!"), a lot of the moms I know laughed unpleasantly and said that if it were *their* kid, that would just be too darned bad for him. Nice. And they sounded proud.

Not really needing a reply, I guess; just musing.

·
Registered
961 Posts
People are ridiculous. When they teach there kids some whacked out religion that they believe is right they expect not to be judged.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, since you've noticed yourselves that vegetarians often receive lots of negative attention for their lifestyle, I got a little challenge for you... I guess there are reasons not to be a vegetarian, but shouldn't you consider making the leap yourself? Sure, your allow him to be a vegetarian, which is nice of you, but being a vegetarian can be quite tough for a kid, even if he is thick skinned. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go 100% vegetarian yourself for the benefit of your boy?

Just my 0.02£

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know a kid who went veg and when her mom told us she rolled her eyes and said it's probably just a phase. I told her that it was a good thing and that I supported it. Well, she isn't veg anymore but I can't help to think that maybe she would have continued if she had more support from her parents/families.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.