VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? My brother did it with his daughter and said it was a fun little project.

I purchased one last year and am going to purchase seeds today.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Is this like star-tipping?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have a friend who has grown tomatoes and cucumbers this way. They were delicious. But then again, she could grow just about anything just about anywhere. She's talented like that. Me? Black thumb.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
It's really not that much different than other ways of growing them. you just have to worry about gravity a little more i suppose. our Tuh may toes were grown in coconut stuff which worked well.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the best tasting tomatoes? Beef steak? I can't remember what my grandfather used to grow, but they were good.

I was thinking of purchasing another one today too and grow some other veges like KFL's friend.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
you cqn make a better upside down growing container yourself out of 5 gallon buckets for less $$. this way you'll get a more durable, higher capacity container. i looked into the topsy turvey, had even bought one at home depot, then i read up about it online and ended up taking it back. the problem is the bags have so little water/soil capacity when the plants get big, so you hit a wall.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
if you want to really grow some serious tomatoes, consider a larger, conventional above ground planter, put a little drip irrigation on it and use grafted tomato plants. now, that's frankenstein tomato production

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

What are the best tasting tomatoes? Beef steak? I can't remember what my grandfather used to grow, but they were good.

I was thinking of purchasing another one today too and grow some other veges like KFL's friend.
Beefsteaks are good, but each tomato can end up around 2 lbs and they are known as a variety with a heavy yield. If the plant has a lot of tomatoes at the same time, it could be a problem for the Topsy Turvy, which is a little flimsy. My parents love growing monster tomatoes. I forget which one they tried in the Topsy Turvy, but the plant grew so heavy that between the weight of the water and the tomatoes, it fell apart.

I'll post a link to a PDF here, but I don't know how long it will be active. It is for the Fullerton Arboretum in California. They just had their annual tomato sale. Their volunteer supporters grow over 200 varieties of tomatoes then have a plant sale every spring that is open to the public. They provide a profile of all the varieties.... taste, disease resistance, early-mid-late season, hybrid/heirloom, whether that tomato will thrive in a container, etc.... It's a good resource.

Tomato Varieties from Fullerton Arboretum

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well my tomatoe plants are doing pretty good. I actually purchases several plants that were already huge. I have 5 baby tomatoes (not in the topsy turvy). They are still in the large plastic container that I purchased them. I may just leave them in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts