VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through two books on vegetarian nutrition by registered dieticians that give detailed, quantitative information about iron in foods. What I've done with the data, though, is put it in rank order within categories, i.e., the highest iron content foods are listed first.<br><br>
Part of the "message" of Virginia Messina's listing is that many of the highest iron foods are from "oriental"/Japanese foods that might be uncommon in Western diets: kelp, dulse, nori, alaria, cooked soybeans (edamame).<br><br>
Yes, many conventional Western foods are also good sources of iron. These include things like chickpeas, lentils, oatmeal, bran flakes and cream of wheat.<br><br>
The recommended intake of iron is 10 milligrams per day for most adults, but 15 mg per day for postmenopausal women aged 19 to 49, according to Melina and Davis.<br><br>
Unfortunately, the only way I could think of to present this material was in .PDF format. I tried to make the files into JPGs but these turned out to be so huge as to be impractical. So it looks like you may have to download these files to view them.
<p> </p>

<span huddler_attributes="{"plugin":"attachment","params":{"id":"1412","name":"TOP-FE-G.pdf","description":"","size":7.2236328125,"type":null}}" huddler_plugin="attachment">
<a
class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/1412" title=""><span class="file ">TOP-FE-G.pdf <span class="details">7.2236328125k . file</span></span>
</a></span>
<p> </p>

<span huddler_attributes="{"plugin":"attachment","params":{"id":"1413","name":"TOP-IRON-g.pdf","description":"","size":9.51953125,"type":null}}" huddler_plugin="attachment">
<a
class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/1413" title=""><span class="file ">TOP-IRON-g.pdf <span class="details">9.51953125k . file</span></span>
</a></span>

Attachments

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a listing of high iron content foods from the USDA Nutritional database. Note that this includes meats and other non-veg*n foods, so needs to be used selectively. But note that many of the top iron foods are breakfast cereals.<br><br>
See: <a href="http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=22114" target="_blank">http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=22114</a>
<p> </p>

<span huddler_attributes="{"plugin":"attachment","params":{"id":"1414","name":"sr24w303.pdf","description":"","size":142.79296875,"type":null}}" huddler_plugin="attachment">
<a
class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/1414" title=""><span class="file ">sr24w303.pdf <span class="details">142.79296875k . file</span></span>
</a></span>

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts