VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of toothpaste do you use?

Crest, Colgate, Arm&Hammer all come from companies who animal test, and thus are not vegan I guess. I'm really trying to finalize the conversion (which has been a pretty fast process).

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
try looking for tom's of maine, it's vegan and doesn't test on animals. they have a bunch of other products too (deoderant, etc). it should be somewhat easy to find too, i know cvs usually carries it (or you can ask them to order it).

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
FYI, not all Toms of Maine is vegan, some varieties contain proplis (a bee product), but that's clearly stated on the front of the package.

I use Tom's of Maine Gingermint, or Jason's Powersmile. I prefer the Jason's but I stocked up on Tom's when it was on sale, so that's what I'm using for the time being.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Tom's of Maine makes a fine product. What is especially cool is that they offer flavors in other than peppermint (fennel and cinnamon). Oddly enough, my husband has acid reflux disease and becomes ill if he uses peppermint flavored toothpaste (peppermint is one of the no nos for acid reflux). He loves the cinnamon flavored paste.

Jason's is good, but they leave a bit of a weird aftertaste.

You could make your own, especially if you'd like to avoid flouride for reasons of mercury amalgam fillings and the like. I have a recipe I got from Organic Beauty should you be interested. It's comprised mostly of baking soda and various essential oils to promote gum health.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've been using Jasons, which I like well enough. I'm looking for a good toothpaste that doesn't use carageenan, though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have been using Toms of Maine since I was a kid, maybe even over 10 years. I will never use anything else! The peppermint one is great

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will look for this Tom's of Maine...though I live in Canada so there might be different brands up here. Thanks to everyone for their replies!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I use only Crest for kids. even my parents use it. I don't like minty toothpastes, but I'll be sure to look for Tom's of Maine now.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
cinnamon toothpaste???

I wish I could find that! I use whatever the family uses, and it's always pepermint! And try drinking orange juice after you've had peppermint in your mouth!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Listerine toothpaste for me.

Listerine products kick.

I'm honestly not sure about their testing procedures, but my teeth are squeeky clean thanks to listerine.

thank you listerine

and sonicare

and ACT fluoride mouthwash

rigmarole

·
Registered
0 Posts
Tom's of Maine has more products than that. I just got "Silly Strawberry" yesterday, it tastes good. Also, it's good for vegans because they donate to the Jane Goodall institute. And as for deodorant, I've never seen Tom's of Maine, but I use Right Guard by Gillette, which according to www.muslimconsumergroup.com contains no animal products and Gillette has been on an animal testing ban for 6 years, which, according to PETA, means they have a temporary ban but still get on the "Companies that Test" list. Silly Peta, tricks are for kids.

-Eric

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
ew, oj after toothpaste...

i use sensodyne
because i have to. well, i'm not gonna die if i don't use it, but then i wouldn't be able to eat ice cream, smile in winter, go to the dentist and get my teeth polished without crying... ack! i don't have to justify myself.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts