VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read that flaxseed's lignans, as phytoestrogens, are believed to act as weak estrogens within the body. If your estrogen levels are low, then the lignans will have a positive effect, but if they are too high, they will block your stronger estrogens.

I'm 20. Should I not worry about flaxseed oil right now? I've been taking it for a few months. Any help out there on this subject?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Brown rice doesn't have hardly any omega-3, so it's not really a source.

Walnuts and some soy products (the ones that don't have the fat removed) have omega-3. Hemp and chia seeds also have it.

Canola oil has it, but I wouldn't use refined canola oil because the refining process probably destroys the omega-3.

But the best source is flaxseed (with the possible exception of micro algae). If you want flaxseed oil without lignans I'm sure you can get it that way. In fact, flaxseed oil doesn't naturally contain lignans. It only contains lignans if they are added to it.

I think that people of all ages need omega-3. There is even a type of omega-3 ,DHA, in human breast milk.

The issue of omega-3 is very complicated. I recommend that you read the chapter on fat in the book "Becoming Vegan". They have a really good explaination (the best I've seen anywhere).

·
Registered
780 Posts
Brenda Davis, R.D. and Vesanto Melina, M.S.,R.D.

I have been saying that Brenda Davis is a long-term vegetarian and Vesanto Melina is a long-term vegan. Well, I just found out that they are both vegan now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts