·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like peanut butter. A lot.

I also like beans. A lot.

And morning star buffalo wings. A lot.

And boca burgers. A lot.

My question is: Is this too much protein?

I've been in the habit of having fake meat and a potato for a lot of meals. If not that, I'll have a peanut butter sandwich or red beans and rice. Usually I'll have all of these things within the course of one day. Also, I only eat whole grains so that has more protein than white bread and stuff. Bahh...what do i do? I love these foods. Is it healthy? I'm so afraid of everything when it comes to nutrition.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also forgot to say that I also have soy protein shakes for breakfast sometimes that are really good and taste like creamsicles. More more protein.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Eh.. There's some concern over too much protein, but I wouldn't worry. There are plenty of people out there that get much much more protein than you. Around 65 grams a day is the standard recommendation (I think). Vegans will argue you only need about thirty.
But anyway, as long as it isn't 400 grams of protein daily, and you have no room for anything else, I think you're fine.

You just need to get a good blend of everything. You mentioned that you eat whole grains, so. The carb/protein ratio there should be balanced. And beans are about 2/3 carb, 1/3 protein.. again, the ratio is balanced.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. If you strength train, you can get up to about 100 grams a day to help build muscle, which is a lot of protein, so you should be okay. Maybe just keep a food journal for a couple days and keep track of how many of each food group you're eating, making sure to get the minimum of each. Doing this really helps me to now only balance out my diet, but to eat healthier, too.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Corri - I sometimes have the same concerns. ONe thing for sure - we don't have to worry about getting ENOUGH protein

·
Registered
452 Posts
When I was trying to put on some muscle I was getting anywhere between 70-110g of protein a day, but I really had to work for it. I doubt you could 'OD' on protein as a vegetarian unless you really tried.

I think the general recommendation is your lean body mass in pounds * .3 will get you the number of recommended grams of protein a day you should eat. For strength building bump it up to .5

·
Registered
350 Posts
If always used the rule of thumb says to divide your weight in half, and use that number to determine the grams of protein you need. I was a competitive athelete for years, and it always worked well for me. I'm 5'6", 114 pounds with 12% body fat.

So, are you eating any fruits and vegetables? If you want to keep things moving, and in sound working order, eat your fruits and vegetables.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have the same concern so I eat high protein concentrated foods only in moderation.

I figured out that old fashioned peanut butter has about 16% calories from protein which isn't real high.

Garbanzo beans has about 17% calories from protein which isn't real high.

Textured soy protein can have about 60-95% calories from protein. Many fake meat products made from it.

Long grain brown and white rice both have about 9% calories from protein.

Potatoes have about 8% calories from protein.

I wouldn't worry very much about it. I'd eat more things like rice or potatoes because they are lower in protein and you can eat some fruits, if you like them, to balance it out more. But you are probably still ahead of people that eat a lot of animal flesh.

The book "Becoming Vegan" recommends 0.9 g protein for each kg of body weight for most veg*ns that eat mostly whole foods. That amount is higher if they are adding/replacing body tissue.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My opinion is that you need to eat more whole foods. You're eating tons of processed stuff that loses nutrients in the manufacturing.

I wouldn't worry about protein overload, but I would worry about eating more whole foods, especially fruits and veggies.

If anything listed is dangerous, it is those protein shakes. The only studies that showed soy products leading to cancer involved diets with super high soy intake (such as from soy supplements like the ones you're taking). Those shakes may be dangerous, and you don't need them anyway so why would you drink them?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Also, the Asians have a fake meat product made from corn. You could inquire into that at an Asian store.

You might also look into quorn which is a fake meat product made from a type of fungus. I'm not sure how high it is in protein and It's not vegan because it contains a small amount of egg whites. I never tryed it but people say it tastes very good.

You might also try other types of veggie burgers. Some are made with vegetables.

Consuming protein causes calcium loss so if your protein consumption is high you should make sure you're getting plenty of calcium.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
any extra protein that the body does not need, needs to be broken down by the kidneys to exit the body since unlike carbs and fats it is rarely used for energy. hight protein diets increase the work of the kidneys thus leading to kidney disease, along w/ bone loss, etc.

protein does add up faster than most people think. like you said. whole grains have about 7g or more. even veggies have about 2g per serving. The recommended amt for *adults* is about .8 grams per kilogram of body wt. but how many calories per day you consume are also factors of how much protein you should have.

i would think it is unlikely for a veg*n to overload on protein but if you are concerned you can easily lower your daily intake by eating more fruit and try eating processed "meat" only once a day instead of each meal. that stuff isnt too healthy for you anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts