VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering how much fiber is too much? I am finding it very hard not to eat too much fiber. It seems if I watch what I eat, then I still consume 45 grams of fiber per day. I have read it is bad to go over this amount. I am also finding my Protein levels to be pretty low. I could definitely get them up if I could eat more beans etc, which have fiber. Any info on this topic would be appreciated.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is not that much information out there regarding Fiber. I know you should get at least 20 grams and shoot for 30-35 grams. The few things I have found on the web suggest too much fiber (over 45 grams) prevents you from absorbing nutrients. Here is a sample day of eating: Breakfast-TJ Fiber O cereal with almond milk and a banana, Lunch-2 Dr Preager Veggie Patties and 2 slices of Ezekiel Sprout Bread, Snacks: Apple and 1 serving of brown rice and peas,Dinner-green leaf salad with half avocado, 1 serving of Brown Rice and home made dressing with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and almonds. this gave me 47 grams of fiber and 41 grams of Protein.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am male and agree about the veggies. I don't eat brown rice everyday and usually eat a mix of veggies. I buy large bags of frozen veggies. one bag has broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and the other is a mixture of stir fry. I just heat them up in a pan with a quick spray of Pam. Was letting them defrost and eating them raw, but they were hard on my stomach.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I take in around 1600-1700 calories per day. I probably need to increase my calories by about 500 on the days I get exercise. I am trying to figure out the right combinations of food to get the proper amount of calories and descent ratios of carbs, fat, and protien. I am trying to lose 15 pounds and that is why my calories are on the lower side.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to the people on this site I learned of myfitnesspal.com. I find it to be very helpful.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I really need to know more about this. I consumed 50 grams of fiber yesterday on only 1500 calories. I did not want to eat more because everything vegetarian has so much fiber. I have read several articles online that over 50 grams of fiber keeps you from absorbing nutrients and also flushes them out. I really wish I could find a reliable source. I t does seem that veggies have less fiber than grains and beans in terms of volume of food. I may need to try to eat more veggies. I never thought I would be struggling to eat less fiber and more protein.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You make a great point about getting more nutrients than I was before. I would be curious to know what the average amount of fiber is consumed by vegetarians. I know everyone eats differently and consumes different amounts of calories, but am curious if it is fairly common for vegetarians to eat 50 plus grams of fiber per day?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am only concerned if it is bad for you and unfortunately I have not been able to find any information on the subject except for the few things I have read on line. I too am concerned about eating healthy and knowing that people like you who have been vegetarian for a good amount of time and don't have an issue with large quantities of fiber definitely puts me more at ease. I would like to read some information from a credible nutritionist though. I also realize there is a big difference in what MDs say and nutritionists. I definitely value the opinion of a nutritionist over an MD when it does to diet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the input. You make valid points and I will not worry about my fiber intake to much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts