VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering how much fiber is too much? I am finding it very hard not to eat too much fiber. It seems if I watch what I eat, then I still consume 45 grams of fiber per day. I have read it is bad to go over this amount. I am also finding my Protein levels to be pretty low. I could definitely get them up if I could eat more beans etc, which have fiber. Any info on this topic would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
ok sample day's worth of meals please! how are you getting that much fiber without getting a lot of protein too? Why do you say it's harmful to get that much fiber, unless you're not drinking enough and are bound up? You're just sucking out bad cholesterol hopefully then!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I get about 80-100 g. per day (no supplements) without a problem, but it's from fruits and veggies. Grains, legumes, nuts, seeds may cause a blockage, though some seeds should help in that area.

How much protein grams per day are you shooting for and what are you eating, as Photojess asked? It's VERY hard on a whole-foods diet to NOT get enough protein if you get enough calories.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is not that much information out there regarding Fiber. I know you should get at least 20 grams and shoot for 30-35 grams. The few things I have found on the web suggest too much fiber (over 45 grams) prevents you from absorbing nutrients. Here is a sample day of eating: Breakfast-TJ Fiber O cereal with almond milk and a banana, Lunch-2 Dr Preager Veggie Patties and 2 slices of Ezekiel Sprout Bread, Snacks: Apple and 1 serving of brown rice and peas,Dinner-green leaf salad with half avocado, 1 serving of Brown Rice and home made dressing with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and almonds. this gave me 47 grams of fiber and 41 grams of Protein.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
your'e fine! are you male or female? can't tell from your avatar or name
. If anything, the protein could be even higher, esp if a male.

the one suggestion would be to eat more vegetables, and not necessarily two servings of brown rice in a day. Where are your green leafy veggies, or peas, carrots, green beans, corn, etc? I know that was just one sample day, but maybe less grain carbs, and more actual veggies. It's very important to get some green leafy vegs in every day. Do you make smoothies or green smoothies?

I just checked the top 6 sites that came up in Google for the too much fiber issue, and they all said the main issues are gassiness, bloating, cramping, constipation, and one site said minute malabsorption.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I agree re: adding more leafy veggies sounds like a great idea. I was thinking the same thing when I read your meals. Green smoothies are an excellent way to get green leafies in.

(corn is a grain, peas are a legume, and green beans are a fruit, FYI). The leafy vegetables I would suggest are spinach, mixed greens, chard, collards, kale. Broccoli is good, too. Good luck!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am male and agree about the veggies. I don't eat brown rice everyday and usually eat a mix of veggies. I buy large bags of frozen veggies. one bag has broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and the other is a mixture of stir fry. I just heat them up in a pan with a quick spray of Pam. Was letting them defrost and eating them raw, but they were hard on my stomach.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I take in around 1600-1700 calories per day. I probably need to increase my calories by about 500 on the days I get exercise. I am trying to figure out the right combinations of food to get the proper amount of calories and descent ratios of carbs, fat, and protien. I am trying to lose 15 pounds and that is why my calories are on the lower side.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
don't worry about ratios! Eat a whole foods diet with a combination of colorful foods from the different groups like Penny wrote, and don't worry about numbers....you may want to stay on the lower fat side too, esp if you're taking in too much.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
that's what we're here for! Glad that works for you.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
^^^^lol!

the reality is, that's true....the more fiber you injest, the fuller you'll feel, and the less you'll end up consuming. I doubt very highly at all, that you could consume an amt to be harmful other than creating gastric disturbances.....HOWEVER, you do want to make sure you're consuming enough water to move all that fiber through. you don't want to create consitipation or a bowel obstruction. But on the other hand, eating a lot of fiber will probably make you much more regular.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I really need to know more about this. I consumed 50 grams of fiber yesterday on only 1500 calories. I did not want to eat more because everything vegetarian has so much fiber. I have read several articles online that over 50 grams of fiber keeps you from absorbing nutrients and also flushes them out. I really wish I could find a reliable source. I t does seem that veggies have less fiber than grains and beans in terms of volume of food. I may need to try to eat more veggies. I never thought I would be struggling to eat less fiber and more protein.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
i can't imagine how you'd get "too much" fiber eating a variety of vegetables and grains. sure, some of the nutrients aren't absorbed in a high fiber diet, but there is a LOT more nutrients in these foods in the first place. i think you're worried about nothing. fiber is the broom of the body.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You make a great point about getting more nutrients than I was before. I would be curious to know what the average amount of fiber is consumed by vegetarians. I know everyone eats differently and consumes different amounts of calories, but am curious if it is fairly common for vegetarians to eat 50 plus grams of fiber per day?

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
i'm eating a diet that gives the me best health, which includes a lot of natural fiber in the foods i eat. i don't measure it at all, because there is no need to. yes, i eat a lot of fiber. if i ate 100 grams a day, it wouldn't concern me in the least. i'm a lot more concerned about avoiding concentrated fats. if you're concerned with fiber for whatever reason, why not eat grits or white rice or white bread or spaghetti and get fiber free calories that way?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am only concerned if it is bad for you and unfortunately I have not been able to find any information on the subject except for the few things I have read on line. I too am concerned about eating healthy and knowing that people like you who have been vegetarian for a good amount of time and don't have an issue with large quantities of fiber definitely puts me more at ease. I would like to read some information from a credible nutritionist though. I also realize there is a big difference in what MDs say and nutritionists. I definitely value the opinion of a nutritionist over an MD when it does to diet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.