VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through some newspapers, there's generally consistency. There's a fraction of a page on the music industry, a fraction of a page on movies, and a fraction of a page on TV shows. Yet there's at least 5 pages dedicated to sports. Let's look at this realistically. Game 7 of the NBA Finals last year drew close to 30 million viewers. 90% of the US population did not watch. Hockey does well in attendance but pulls in mediocre ratings. Baseball has lost its popularity greatly over the years. With the exception of a few games, even football's popularity is greatly exaggerated. I can't say much about foreign countries but most Americans simply don't care about sports. Do you feel the media puts far too much emphasis on sports?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,339 Posts
There's a lot of interest in professional sports because they rake in lots of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Do you feel the media puts far too much emphasis on sports?
Yes.

Australia is particularly guilty of this. Because of our warm climate we are very much a society with a huge emphasis on outdoor recreation, and so sport, both playing and watching it, is a big part of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

There's a lot of interest in professional sports because they rake in lots of money.
So does the music industry. Why aren't there 5 pages in the newspaper dedicated daily to the music industry? Music makes people happy and sports do just the opposite. I think we'd be a happier society if we put more emphasis on music(or movies, for that matter) and less on sports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Yes.

Australia is particularly guilty of this. Because of our warm climate we are very much a society with a huge emphasis on outdoor recreation, and so sport, both playing and watching it, is a big part of that.
Which sports are popular in Australia? It's good exercise for you so I can't see a problem with playing sports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

So does the music industry. Why aren't there 5 pages in the newspaper dedicated daily to the music industry? Music makes people happy and sports do just the opposite. I think we'd be a happier society if we put more emphasis on music(or movies, for that matter) and less on sports.
Sports generally has more big name brands attached to it. Look at some of the uniforms, they're just a smorgasboard of products you will never want or use. The music industry, at best, has ads on iTunes and a few stupid drink names on barriers at festivals.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
No. The media pays attention to what people want to see, and hear. There is so much on sports, because people want to see that much on sports. Thats why there is a dozen ESPN channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,067 Posts
That focus on sports would make more sense if it was about what kind of sports there are, where they can be played, what opportunities there are for regular people to get exercise, learn teamwork etc.

I don't understand the focus on what sports other people are playing. I don't understand why anyone gives a **** whether some person unknown to them makes a goal or not, to me it's like caring about whether some unknown person leaves the toilet seat up. Sports can be fun and useful to participate in; but watching them bores me to tears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

No. The media pays attention to what people want to see, and hear. There is so much on sports, because people want to see that much on sports. Thats why there is a dozen ESPN channels.
This is a very dangerous argument, because it suggests that every other aspect of our culture is the same, that people only eat meat because they want to, that people watch so many adverts because they are happy to do so.

I wouldn't, for one, mistake entrapment or complacency for participation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
It seems to me that if a paper couldn't sell ads in the sports section, it would cease to exist. It must still be fiscally relevant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Well, there is the aesthetic enjoyment of watching a skilled athlete perform at an elite level, and there is a certain amount of drama.

However, the drama is mostly contrived; an arbitrary series of events culminating in the selection of an overall superior team or athlete. And even afterward, no one can agree that the "best" participant was chosen, leading to further discussion that further perpetuates the interest.

It's like a feedback loop, people obsess about a sport, adding more importance to the outcome, which then generates more interest and obsessing, etc... And fantasy leagues and pools add another layer on top of that so sports fans can obsess about an unrelated meta-contest.

BTW, 30 million viewers, 10% viewership, may not seem like much but that's huge for a single event. You better believe there is big money to be made there. At least they don't exploit the athletes as severely as they used to, but the sports fans are being fleeced for every dime they can afford.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,093 Posts
not for me I am a sports junkie....follow mostly all sports and the sports section is the first one I read with my tea in the morning.....I love to play sports too always have and have played on guys teams and have alot of guys pals from that....guess thats just me.

Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

No. The media pays attention to what people want to see, and hear. There is so much on sports, because people want to see that much on sports. Thats why there is a dozen ESPN channels.
There are also music stations like MTV, VH1, and Country has at least one station. If people want to watch sports they'd be doing better in the ratings. What's the most popular TV show in recent years? American Idol, a music show. There is so much music news that doesn't get attention and so much irrelevent sports stories that get hype. It's sad.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,995 Posts
So, you seriously believe that the media focuses on sports despite a lack of interest by their readers/viewers/listeners? Really?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

There are also music stations like MTV, VH1, and Country has at least one station. If people want to watch sports they'd be doing better in the ratings. What's the most popular TV show in recent years? American Idol, a music show. There is so much music news that doesn't get attention and so much irrelevent sports stories that get hype. It's sad.
American Idol wasn't a music show, it's a competition with interactive elements. In that regard it's very difficult to class it alongside your typical television shows.

I agree that there is music news that doesn't get covered, but sport, unlike music, is something which people can take a personal pride in with their local teams, whether or not that's founded, it's still ingrained in us.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
i don't care about sports either and none of my friends does. but i would say that us are probably just not in the norm when it comes to sports. i mean, considering how popular that super bowl thing is in America, there have to be people who care about sports

i guess what is different about music, is that while it might be interesting for sports fans to read what happened during the game, it isn't really interesting for a music fan to find out about the events of some concert unless something extra ordinary happened, like falling from stage etc.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top