VeggieBoards banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the correct amount- grams and servings- of carbs for a 5'3, 140 pound female? (Ok, do it for a 5'3, 125 pound female instead. I don't need 140 pounds of carbs!) I see recommendations, but they are too general. I am very active ( 6 days of exercise a week, at least 30 minutes of hard cardio, and 3 days of weight lifting)<br><br>
Thanks!<br><br>
lovenlight,<br><br>
linz

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not going to! Well, I am trying not to. I haven't made it a day yet without counting...but I have held off longer. I just want to know how many servings of carbs I should have, and what size a serving IS....<br><br>
I don't believe in all the Atkins crap at all, but I gotta figure that too many carbs-- more than I need -- is no good at all. So I was just curious, mainly because as a vegan I suspect I eat too many.<br><br>
lovenlight,<br><br>
linz

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
As a vegan you need to eat more. Any calculators or recommendations are going to make suggestions based on a diet that includes meat. So.. Eat many. Eat many many more than they tell you to ensure proper nutrition.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Wait.. I wasn't clear about that. You need extra grains and such for iron and other vitamins that in an omnivore's diet could come from meat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the best thing of all to do-would be to see a nutritionist-and they should be able to come up with your requirements and perhaps a meal plan, based on your lifestyle, exercise and eating habits-including any muscle toning, weight gain/loss you may want to achieve.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
6-11.<br><br>
If you are engaging in a lot of activity, I would make it closer to eleven. That's the food pyramid recomendation.<br><br><br><br>
However, I don't count my carbs or measure serving sizes and I do just fine. I agree with charityajo, that when you're vegan, you probably need to eat more rather than less.<br><br><br><br>
B

·
Registered
780 Posts
WHO (the world health organization) recommends that at least 55% of the calories come from carbs. So, that would be<br><br><br><br>
recommend calories from carbs >= total calories * 0.55<br><br><br><br>
so<br><br><br><br>
recommend carbs in grams >= (total calories in Kcals * 0.55)/4 Kcals/g<br><br><br><br>
So, if you consume 2000 Kcals/day that would work out to<br><br><br><br>
recommend carbs in grams >= (2000 Kcals * 0.55)/4 Kcals/g = 275 g

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, ok. I was thinking I needed much less. I think the Atkins people at work really ARE getting to me. *hehe* Do fruits count as carb servings?

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
That's 6-II starch/ grain servings. Juice, fruit, etc (the rest of your carbs) don't even factor into that. And you still need many of those.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
look at the (vegan) food pyramid.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.nutrispeak.com/veganpyramid.htm" target="_blank">http://www.nutrispeak.com/veganpyramid.htm</a>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts