VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A person at the health food store said you should only eat 7 almonds per day and no more. They never went into any detail and I can't find anything about this online. Does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
scratch what I just wrote and posted....some sites say 12 and about 23 is an ounce.....not sure where the 7 comes into play. you really don't need more than an ounce a day with the fat calories associated with nuts, while you are still getting the benefits from them.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm no nutrition expert, but I've never heard anything about such a small limit for almonds. I have heard if you're trying to loose weight, you shouldn't eat more than an ounce of raw nuts. It really depends on how much energy you're burning through-out the day though.

Anyway, I'm not sure where the idea of only being able to eat 7 nuts came from.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know I wouldn't trust anything a store clerk says about nutrition unless there was some information behind it to back it up!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
well, for sure, you don't need all of the fat calories from an excessive amt of nuts, when you could be varying your diet and eating a lot more food for those same calories

I think you'd be safe with more than seven, but not more than an ounce.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Like others have said, I don't think there's anything inherently bad about eating a more generous helping of almonds, especially if it's only once in a while. They are high in fat, so if you're trying to cut calories or lose weight that could be a problem. They also shouldn't take the place of other healthy foods like fruits, veggies, grains, and legumes.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I eat anywhere from 10 to 40 a day... I don't think you can eat too many. But they are high in fat, so don't eat more than 40 every day. Also, I am over 6' tall and exercise a lot. So if you are small and have a low metabolism, maybe don't have too many? only because the fat content and calories are high in almonds.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quackery. I don't even believe what most doctors tell me. A nut is merely a food... A combination of fatty acids, amino acids, carbohydrates, and various micronutrients, just like almost any other food. If you like them, eat them. And I guarantee overconsumption of nuts has nothing to do with the world's obesity epidemic. We can blame that on the sweet tooth, not eating more than 7 almonds.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Quackery. I don't even believe what most doctors tell me. A nut is merely a food... A combination of fatty acids, amino acids, carbohydrates, and various micronutrients, just like almost any other food. If you like them, eat them. And I guarantee overconsumption of nuts has nothing to do with the world's obesity epidemic. We can blame that on the sweet tooth, not eating more than 7 almonds.
This.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
nomad....not everyone needs all of those calories though....you too are a very active person....an inactive person doesn't need to consume a huge amt of calories from nuts though.....sure it can be a regular part of one's diet.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The customer agreed as well so I thought there may be some truth to it. I love almonds, so I'm relieved I can still eat them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Lots of almonds won't HURT you. But if you eat too many and do it frequently you MAY gain weight. I know lots of people who eat quite a bit of nuts (and nut butter) and don't gain weight, me being one of them. And I'm not that active. 7 is definitely not the cut-off unless you have a really, really slow metabolism. My bf eats 2 full servings of nuts every day and is in the process of LOSING weight, about 15 lbs in the last 5 weeks. He's even less active than me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Well I have deffinatly eaten a whole bag of smoked almonds and I'm still here!
Right on!

And what about almond milk? Whoever suggested that I can only have 7 almonds per day can have my almond milk when he pries it from my cold, dead hands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts