VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious.

Why they might be bad:

Highly acidic - If you buy into the acid/alkaline theory then you'd want to avoid them because they are very acidic.

Inflammatory - Are tomatoes inflammatory? I've read some things that say they are.

Why they might be good:

Lycopene - Have heard a host of good things about lycopene. And apparently the best way to get it is through cooked tomato products?

Water-rich foods - Water-rich foods (veggies) are good no? Tomatoes are a water-rich food.

Please feel free to weigh in here in favor or against Mr. Tomato.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Yeesh, they got banned fast. I love tomatoes, I eat them all the time. Imagine how different out diets would be if there were no New World foods included at all?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene (cancer-fighting), vitamin C and vitamin A. They are acidic, but unless you're eating tons of acidic foods and nothing to counter the acid, that shouldn't be a problem for the majority of people. I've never read or heard anything about them being inflamatory.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I'll be the dissenting voice: although I understand tomatoes are rich in nutrients, they are far too acidic for me. It'll probably be ok if I just have one raw tomato in a salad, but a tomato sauce will make me suffer. Then again, I'm very sensitive and will have an immediate reaction to any offending foodstuff or additive. Nobody else I know has ever had a problem with tomatoes (well, except from a girl allergic to them, but that's different).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

They are acidic, but unless you're eating tons of acidic foods and nothing to counter the acid, that shouldn't be a problem for the majority of people
I guess I'm in the minority then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.