VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
559 Posts
and i agree. you can't define 'stupid.' i could list the qualities that i think make someone 'stupid.' i wouldn't say it has much to do with education or not...i say people with no common sense are pretty stupid..they can have 4 degrees and still be ignorant about life matters.

and i think the word stupid can be thrown in as an adjective and be utilized in different ways..

such as - 'that stupid car!'

'that's a stupid movie'

'what a stupid haircut'

none of which are calling the person stupid...people take things out of context very easily ( i know i do, at times). however, if i see some ******* loser wasted and driving- that there is a mo' f'in stupid dumbsh!t. i don't see how they can not be stupid. or dumb. or lame. or any of those other fun words. if i see some kid riding in the middle of the road with no helmet - i'd say, what a stupid kid.

ok, i know my point but there may or may not be any purpose trying to prove it to anyone. there are stupid people. period. and no one can deny that. can they revive themselves from stupidity???

sometimes, my friends, sometimes. but some are too deep in that dark sorry sewer fed hole to even think about getting some fresh air.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I said it because of the response I had recieved from another thread over my objection to a choice of words not opinion. Plus Ive noticed a pattern by a small number of VB folks that wont respond to former VW folks posts. It's only a few but it's still seems kinda rude.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I cant do much with a computer. Just basic stuff. I guess to alot of you that makes me "stupid" But on the other hand I can build tooling and aircraft parts and hold tolerances to .0005 if I need to. Most of you I venture to say cant. Does that make you stupid? Theres no such thing as stupid. There's a big difference between stupid and ignorance.

·
Banned
559 Posts
i'm proud to call myself computer illiterate. heh..that's a choice of mine

everyone has done a stupid action, everyone has made a stupid statement. no one's perfect, and of course those things dont make that person stupid.

but once again, there are stupid people. and i know and have known a few. sure, they may be smart in some respects..but i'm going back to my common sense comment - if someone lacks common sense, they aren't going many places.

this whole topic is kind of a moot point...it's just going to be one big arguement. i could go into great detail of what i infer as stupid. but i'm not going to do so. saying there isn't such thing as a stupid person is kinda like saying that people don't make judgements. and everyone makes initial judgements about people. so in denial or not, there are stupid people. simple. period. ok, i'm bored with this already..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Budda's last post illustrates of why it's kind of dangerous to label people as "stupid"--it can so easily backfire. Labelling people as stupid can cause one to be considered stupid.

Everyone is "smart" and "stupid" in different ways, even when discount education and training. For example, I have an immensely difficult time remembering numbers. I am able to remember, at any given time, a maximum of about half a dozen telephone numbers. (Thank goodness for speed dial!) Yet I have quite a good memory for many other types of information.

The kid riding in the middle of the street without a helmet and the drunk driver may be quite intelligent in a number of different ways; it is these particular actions that are stupid, not necessarily the individual engaging in those actions.

Remember, at one time in his life, Einstein was considered to be not particularly intelligent.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
nature/nurture it is surely, but nurture has overwhelmingly to do with what we call "smart" or "stupid". it's mainly the memes and patterns that make up conscious intelligence. some people simply never learn to, or realize how to think in patterns used by "intelligent" peope.

from where science stands today, you can't really for instance look at two brains and say, which one is more intelligent. the number of synapses in the brain is not a good indication for intelligence, because the brain is **highly** redundant. it's the information and thinking patterns (largely acquired) that make up our "intelligence".

everybody is highly intelligent by birth. think about it what every human does daily - walking around, recignizing faces, talking, remembering situations, eating, imagining the future, etc. EVERYBODY does this and these are **HIGHLY** complex calculations. what we call "conscious thinking", is really a very little addition to the brain's activities - almost negligible if you consider the brain's data processing capabilities in general.

in this sense, the likes of einstein only have slightly more intelligence than the "dumbest" person. you could say that everybody (except those with mental illness) is a 200 story skyscraper by birth, and einstein is maybe a half of a story higher than the average person.

imagine a highly developed alien species visiting the earth. to them we all (incl. einstein & co) will look unbearably stupid.

in fact, a strong ethical argument for vegetarianism can be made along the lines i just described, as did E.O. Wilson but i forgot where. (see i'm stupid).

·
Banned
559 Posts
but once again, i'm not relating stupid and intelligence at all in this case...(going back to the common sense thing). sure, the kid may be a genuis, the drunk may be some awsome math dude, but when they are putting themselves (and others) lives in danger (as in these examples) - their stupidness overrides what intelligence they may possess. in the end, having crazy math abilities or whatnot isn't going to be the determining factor in a happy fulfilled life. you gotta have common sense, man!

take some 'famous' serial killers- sure, a lot of them were brilliantly smart with their tactics or whatever you want to call their messed up minds - and while stupid is a much too subtle word to call them, you can't say..oh, but at least they were intelligent. because, yes, while they have been smart in some respects, that is not the label that the public or an individual is going to stick on them (or my god, i hope it isnt).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't mind when people say something is dumb or stupid. But "Ew, that's sooooo retarded!" really offends me. People should NOT make fun of the mentally challenged. It's just plain cruel. Everytime someone calls their friend a retard or says something is retarded I want to smack them. It makes me mad that people find it funny.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by freemouse

I agree that "stupidity" is a subjective, undefinable concept to begin with. However, I prefer not to use "stupid" to describe a consistent personal trait.
And that is fine and I applaude you for that choice you've made in your life. However please don't try and MAKE me follow that because I may (and do disagree with you). That is what I am starting to feel like is being done however inadvertently.

I agree with you on the fact that we all have inate abilities and that is not what I am talking about. If someone is mentally challanged of course you shouldn't mock them for it. I also think the use of the word retarded is offensive and I grill my students on it often (the same with gay as in many 7th grade venaculars it's a put down or use to discribe something bad).

However (and correct me if I am wrong) it seems like that was not the way stupid is used here (again I may be wrong but no obvious example come to mind). So I am unsure why start a thread on tolerence based on this. I don't necessaily think I am smarted than the "stupid" people I may encounter during my day. I know I do dumb stuff all the time.

_

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Nintelligentidiot, I agree with your reaction wholeheartedly.

Majake, I don't think that Freemouse was doing anything of the kind. Even I, who started this thread, didn't do it with the intention or expectation of forcing anyone to stop calling other people "stupid". I just hoped that perhaps people would consider whether their perceived greater intelligence was something of which they have a justifiable reason to be proud; in short, whether it's an achievement or a gift.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I actually forgot to explicitely point out the bottom line of my post above: it was a pledge for tolerance, because

o no matter how "smart" you are, you are still amazingly "stupid"

o no matter how "stupid" you are you are still amazingly "smart"

for instance, i'm considered "intelligent" by many people. yet i can't believe how "stupid" (even barbaric) i have been in my pre-veggie days to unnecessarily exploit and eat the flesh of animals.

whenever I feel the urge to pat myself on the shoulder for how freakin smart i am, i just have to think of this to get myself grounded again. not to mention that i know that there are many things where i'm still just as stupid - i just don't realize it.

I generally avoid to describe people as "stupid", i mostly use the word in the sense of "that's a stupid thing to do" and such.

And because I mentioned the man, here is a quote in much the same spirit:

"Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics; I can assure you that mine are still greater." - Albert Einstein

21 - 40 of 57 Posts