VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing a lot of derogatory comments about "stupid people". I find it somewhat ironic that most of us are resistant to value judgments about species based on their relative levels of intelligence, and (almost?) all of us would find offensive derogatory comments about people who are developmentally disabled, yet so many of us have no qualms about looking down our noses at individuals who are less intelligent or capable than we perceive ourselves to be.

My personal opinion is that we are each born with certain intelligence and other abilities, which are either enhanced or diminished by the "nurture" portion of the nature/nurture equation. We have no more reason to pride ourselves or be ashamed of ourselves based on our intelligence and other abilities, or on our beauty or lack thereof, than we have to pride ourselves or be ashamed of ourselves based on the color of our skin. The only aspect of our intelligence and other abilities on which we can justifiably pride ourselves is the use to which we put the abilities and characteristics with which we have been gifted/cursed by nature/nurture.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
435 Posts
What you have said Mouse, is very true. Someones worth should not be measured by their perceived intelligence, but rather, by their ability to make the world a better place for others. Whether that means being a good father, a close friend, or offering humanitarian services to a suffering people. When I think of people I knew who have passed away, the thing I remember about them is not how smart they were, but how kind and compassionate they were. That is the measure of true greatness.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Mouse,

I tend to agree with you. However, at least for me, when I come on here, sometimes I just need to let off some frustration. Online, I can express my annoyance and not worry about the annoying person(s) ever finding out. Some people do this by journaling or other measures. I would never tell a person I find annoying that s/he is "stupid", but online I can complain about the person(s) seemingly illogical behavior so that I don't have it all pent up when I see the person.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think even the ability to use one's intelligence is at least partially genetic as well, and out of one's control. Being proud of your brain or body is sort of like being proud of a car that was a gift.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I should clarify I don't really think thew people are stupid, but as Skylark so elequently put it, we don't understand their actions. Or in some cases their actions hurt or otherwise negativly effect me.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Those are some really sensible and good logical thoughts without

so much emphasis being on intelligence as you all say!
although

I would have to point out intelligence cannot be ignored in order ascertain things in relation to what makes a person intelligable generally, so I hope that serves well to all and that which I say below does not undermine the essence of what its about..

Thoughts do not always have to intellectually stimulated. Thoughts that spurn intelligence or that are indicative of intelligence can be spiritually enlightened intelligence or emotional and can give a person great humanicity and favourablilty and credit and worth which is equally as admirable as all the other sorts of intelligence.

There are many sorts of intelligence, but what makes a person respected, is not limited to intelligence.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
some people are stupid and i choose not to associate with those people because of that, i dont like hearing stupid comments and watching stupid movies and seeing people do stupid things, sorry, but stupid people annoy me. Not saying people have to be intelligent to be my friend, but they cant be stupid, i dont care if its genetic or learned, its annoying. Same with angry people.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majake

some people are stupid and i choose not to associate with those people because of that, i dont like hearing stupid comments and watching stupid movies and seeing people do stupid things, sorry, but stupid people annoy me. Not saying people have to be intelligent to be my friend, but they cant be stupid, i dont care if its genetic or learned, its annoying. Same with angry people.
What is your definition of stupid?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
my definition of stupid is obviously not everyones definition, or rather where i draw the line of stupidity is not where everyone draws the line, that doesn't make it incorrect, it makes it my choice. whats my definition? how am i suppose to answer that? its subjective and thus undefinable. the nearest thing i could do is give examples of things that i think are stupid and you may be able to grasp the idea of where i draw the line of what kind of things i wish not to subject myself to. example: Rob Sneider movies

·
Registered
435 Posts
I dont think a personal definition of stupidity is indefinable. Presumably there is something about someone, something they say or do, that makes you feel that they are stupid. Understanding what that thing is, will illustrate, at least in part, what you feel constitutes stupidity in a person.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by majake

why should you be proud of that? you didnt do anything to make that happen.
Actually Freemouse DID make that happen, by being the kind of person she is.
She's my "adopted" daughter.

P.S. Thank you, Freemouse!!!

·
Banned
559 Posts
i agree with the majake man all the way (although, i can stoop to a certain level and laugh at nonsensical studpid movies, heh).

but yes, i choose not to associate with stupid people, even though everyone has a stupid comment here or there and may do stupid things every once in a while. hell, i have and i realize it. but there are some overall stupid, stupid people who just don't help themselves, and i have no respect for them.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I guess Im one of those "stupid"people. Pretty cool how some people can make judgements like that from just reading a few posts. Good to know where I stand.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Does this topic have anything to do with me and my username? Cuz it's not supposed to offend anyone. I'm just making fun of myself and I think it sounds cool.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Again, explain your definition of stupid. Simply saying someone is stupid, tells us nothing about what has led you to that conclusion. Nor does it tell us what you mean by stupid. Explain what it is that makes them seem stupid to you. Let me give you an example. People who speak with poor grammar drive me nuts. When a person speaks poorly I get the same sensation through my body, that I would if someone was dragging their fingernails down a chalkboard.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nintelligentidiot,

No, the topic does NOT have anything to do with your user name, which I also think is cool. Your user name has a number of interesting implications/connotations.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.