VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has ever trained their cat to go to the bathroom in the toilet?? I've heard of CitiKitty and Litter Kwitter and I'm just wondering if anyone has experiences with these? Zoey is super smart and I can see her catching onto it really easily, just not sure if I want to spend the money or have her do it. Since they aren't able to "bury" their potties I'm worried about taking away some of her natural instinct...if that makes any sense. She's a cat not a person, so I understand that it might not work which would be totally fine. But with a 600 sq foot apartment, no more stinky litter would be nice! I like the idea of the Litter Kwitter since you can move at your cats own pace and take steps back if you need to.

I'm just looking for people's thoughts on this!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had full intentions of ordering the Litter Kwitter and training both of my cats to use the toilet but then I discovered the Litter Robot and decided that the investment was worth it. And it is.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That's a brilliant idea. I imagine you'd have to teach them rather young, some of our cats don't like toilets, they freak them out for some reason. I'd love to have a mini toilet and have my kitty stand on two feet and then flush!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My cat is basically obsessed with the toilet as it is. She just loves it. I think she would catch on pretty fast.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Well my experience was not positive. My cat hated the training method and went berserk. But... He's a loon to begin with. Currently, the cats use whatever they want (one prefers an empty litter box - no litter, no towels, nothing!) and I'm too tired with it all to try anything new just yet.

I think I'd try again with future cats though. Because if it works then that's fantastic!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemyarchnug View Post

Wow! I had never heard of that before! That looks crazy. Not really in my budget though
I know it's a little pricey but if you ever have the money for one I highly recommend it. It takes all of the pain of dealing with the litter box away and it's great for when I travel.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dreadeedddd litter box!! If we ever...well I should say...when we get another cat I will probably seriously think about it!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
This still amazes me that cats can do this. I'm just happy that my rabbit is litter trained, with the exception of occasionally marking territory, but luckily, that's easily cleaned.

--Fromper

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Yes, I once had a very intelligent Queen, and she learned to use the people potty. Then I ended up with some boy cats, and they refused, so my Queen reverted to litter boxes as well.

Um yeah, that's her first poop into the potty, without the training paraphernalia. She never learned to flush. And that's her diploma.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Me and my husband havn't really thought about toilet training our cat, although he did almost do it himself once! lol We always keep the toilet lid down, so he doesn't fall in. One day our niece went into the bathroom and she came out laughing with a shocked expression on her face, our cat had done a poo on the toilet lid!! lol We have no idea why but he's never done it again, was a very odd day lol So maybe he might be willing????? lol

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
The idea of having a cat use the toilet is not cute at all to me.
If they could lift the seat up and not put their dirty paws all over it, maybe, but that's probably not going to happen.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
It works best when you have a spare toilet not in regular use. However, I'd bet $5000 that a culture from a cat's toe pads would be a lot less virulent than a culture from a human butt crack.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

However, I'd bet $5000 that a culture from a cat's toe pads would be a lot less virulent than a culture from a human butt crack.
So would I, however, when most people use the toilet, their actual butt crack doesn't come into direct contact with the toilet seat. YMMV.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

It works best when you have a spare toilet not in regular use. However, I'd bet $5000 that a culture from a cat's toe pads would be a lot less virulent than a culture from a human butt crack.
HAHAHA!

It would be a pain since we only have on bathroom which would mean moving all the stuff every time we have to use the bathroom. Sounds like a pain in the a** (no pun intended).
We always leave our toilet seat down too. I'm kinda worried about her playing in the water...dirty or clean :S

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemyarchnug View Post

HAHAHA!

It would be a pain since we only have on bathroom which would mean moving all the stuff every time we have to use the bathroom. Sounds like a pain in the a** (no pun intended).
We always leave our toilet seat down too. I'm kinda worried about her playing in the water...dirty or clean :S
Yeah I only have one toilet in this house, and I have to keep the lid down or muh hound dawg'll drink from it.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Personally I wouldn't train my cat to do this because it causes big problems for sea otters when cat poop is flushed to the ocean because of the parasites and things that cats rid from their body and end up in their poop, which makes sea otters really sick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.