VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a new vegetarian and am trying to stock up on meatless deli products. I heard that the Tofurky brand was one of the best and ordered their Tofurky Jerky online (it was all I could find on Amazon). It's so salty it really can't be tolerated. When I called customer service I was told that all the products were very salty; but now I'm not sure if he meant just the jerky products or EVERYTHING?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good brand, or if you've tried Tofurky products other than the jerky, and what you thought of it.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I've tried the sausages and the cold-cuts, and didn't find them salty. Everyone's taste buds are different, though. Too bad you don't have a veg friend you can "split" with to see if you like them. Good luck!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've had the Tofurkey "turkey" for a holiday once. It wasn't bad - and I really liked the rice stuffing (I hate bread stuffing). Their gravy was good, too.

For deli-type products, I usually get Light Life http://www.lightlife.com/. Their turkey and bologna and ham are all decent. (It's been so long since I ate the real thing I can't really compare.) I forget who made the salami-like product which I liked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input. I guess I might be a little sensitive to salt; even when I used to eat the real thing I always felt the need to kind of rinse it in a little water, nasty as that may sound. I'll keep trying. I think I saw those Lighthouse products in the grocery, I'll make sure to check them out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
As a new veggie, I'm finding that most "fake meat" products just aren't very good. I tried Yves fake turkey slices, and ended up throwing them out after one bite. Some of the burger type things are awful, too, but I like Boca's "chicken" patties (vegan) and Morningstar Farms grillers (not vegan).

Personally, I prefer tofu over any of them, though.

--Fromper

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought some Tofurky Italian sausages today. It has cooking instructions on the back, but these seem like heating instructions to me. Does anyone know if it's necessary to cook them first if I want to slice it and eat it cold on crackers? Thanks.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah+13 View Post

I bought some Tofurky Italian sausages today. It has cooking instructions on the back, but these seem like heating instructions to me. Does anyone know if it's necessary to cook them first if I want to slice it and eat it cold on crackers? Thanks.
I would think that's fine. They make deli slices too, it's probably all the same stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.